Thread: Fly shops worth hitting?....Anchorage....Kenai?....

Default Fly shops worth hitting?....Anchorage....Kenai?....

Heading in to Homer to catch the ferry back to Kodiak and looking to hit a fly shop in Anchorage or somewhere on the way. It's been several years since I've been to Anchortown, so I'm not familiar with what's there now. This isn't a fly shop war thread, just wanting to know who to go see on my way through to get some stuff. I say "worth" it because I'll not be in Anchorage long and I'm towing a 20' boat that I'll need to find parking for and move around. I'll be stopping to see Mountain View, AMH and the Fur Exchange. Haven't been to Mossy's...good place to check out?

Did Mossy's used to go by another name? I think I've been to that shop location, but it wasn't Mossy's back then...

when i was first starting out i tried out all the places, got the best customer service and help from mike and mossy's and now only go there.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I second Mossys. Mike is a stand up guy that goes out of his way to get you what you want or need. Lots of great info and sells great products. Haven't found another place around of the same caliber.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Yeah, I'd like to check out that place, thanks. Haven't been there. Is that shop in the strip mall on the south side of the road? Did it go by another name, like 15 years ago? I went to a shop there years and years ago, but only went once and don't remember the name.

Kenai Cache is a nice shop, great fly selection and the owner is a real helpful guy, don't recall his name.

Correct mossy's used to be something else, cant think of the name, but he is right by village inn on dimond. Great guy, great selection, mountian view sports is good as well.

I think it was something like Anchorage Fly Shop or something, which is why I can't remember it for sure. I do like Mountain View for all of their stuff they have across the board. I'll check out Mossy's if I can get the trailer in the parking lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alaska highway.jpg  

Used to be McAfees Fly Shop. As I recall, the older guy retired to spend time with his grandchildren. Mike runs Mossy's Fly Shop there now. Great dude and lots of good stuff three. World Wide Angler and Mountain View have great selections as well, but lack the customer service Mike provides. Hitting these three fly shops would allow you to get anything you might need.

Dan

Hit em all including Sportsmans. You'll see a lot the same stuff in most, but most also have their sale bins. Good digging in those.

Yeah, that was it; McAffee's. I just need to pick up a few things. Nothing exotic that I can find in one of those three places. Thanks.

Fly shop worth hitting in Kenai.... That's cute The closest we have to a "fly shop" in Kenai/Soldotna is Sportsman's Warehouse (who do have a good selection & parking). As someone else mentioned there are a couple on Cooper Landing.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yeah, Mossy is Anchorage's best fly shop. Mike is awesome....just hooked up a few co-workers with 4 rigs at a great price. Beat everyone in town! Support the small, local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Fly shop worth hitting in Kenai.... That's cute The closest we have to a "fly shop" in Kenai/Soldotna is Sportsman's Warehouse (who do have a good selection & parking). As someone else mentioned there are a couple on Cooper Landing.
    Ha, yep! Same with Kodiak, which is why I asked. Mac's is good, but not a fly shop...I'd like to hit a fly shop before hitting the island.

Hit Mossy's. Great shop. I'll be back. Mike seemed like a great guy and his store was put together very well.