Thread: Man killed by black bear near Fairbanks.. Any close calls at bait?

Default Man killed by black bear near Fairbanks.. Any close calls at bait?

Over the last 15 years, I have killed two black bears at bait sites that I felt were going to do me some harm.
    both were males. one at 30 yards behind me, the other was hiding in some alders and would come towards me when
    I approached. that was at 30 yards also.

I had one female with cubs that was none to happy I was there.. she beat up a bush and was very intimidating for a while. hissing and popping her jaws. then she left.

I have heard of others shooting them when they climber up and got to there tree stand.

other stories?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by biganimal View Post
    Over the last 15 years, I have killed two black bears at bait sites that I felt were going to do me some harm.
    both were males. one at 30 yards behind me, the other was hiding in some alders and would come towards me when
    I approached. that was at 30 yards also.

I had one female with cubs that was none to happy I was there.. she beat up a bush and was very intimidating for a while. hissing and popping her jaws. then she left.

I have heard of others shooting them when they climber up and got to there tree stand.

other stories?
    Many years ago we had a young boar that simply wouldn't go away/let us out of our stand. He had been hanging around for 30 minutes or so, and we really had to get back to town. We started out talking to the bear, it would look at us, but wouldn't leave. Then we yelled at it, still wouldn't leave. Then I threw my chair towards him. The chair landed within 10 feet of him, he just looked at it, and continued watching us. We then shot into the ground near the bear. He jumped up and ran a few yards, but came right back within a minute or two. After the second shot into the ground yielded the same results, we decided that the bear wasn't going away, so we decided to put him in the freezer. Not too sure what his problem was.

I've never felt threatened by a black bear at a bait site, primarily because the bears are the prey. But I did have a black bear boar in the Eagle River valley, near the glacier at Thunder Gorge and along the Crow Creek Pass trail, get real pushy, testy, sneaky, and it was pretty apparent that he wanted my dog. He got so close to me that I could have hit him over the face with the barrel of my rifle, and that was right next to a 3' tall campfire. Frankly, I wanted to kill him and leave him rather than pack him out 13 miles just to give him up and fill out their DLP paperwork. I was pretty disgusted with the various no-hunting BS in that valley, because it is more than obvious that those bears know the rules. He certainly knew what the sound of a lever action rifle being cocked meant............

I've always had the blackies don't bother me mentality until now. It will always be in the back of my mind. Rip sir and condolences to the family.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Ive had two experiences with blackies stalking me or a companion..both are hanging on the wall..what is interesting was there non aggressive approach to us..ive seen them do it to moose also..they just walk up all friendly and like...then grab and run..

when a blackie dont turn and run...he is considering the battle for dinner

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have been stalked once by a black bear. Pretty creepy feeling.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I only had one blackie that wouldn't leave me alone. It was a lone yearling cub(assuming the sow was killed) that would always hang around when I went to bait. I never felt threatened since he was just a little guy but he would hang around as I filled up the bait maybe 20 yds away and it took a lot to get him to run off. He always got the good stuff though because he was the first on the bait lol. I hope the little guy made it but I didn't see him after that season. Other than that most all blackie encounters i've had been non aggressive.

My thoughts on this is that there was something wrong with this bear.

F&G says it was fine, but also said it was between 10 and 20 years old at 230 pounds. ( not seeing the logic there.)

Is he what we would call a little bear, ( as some of the people in the world are little men/women )?

I knew Bob and he knew how to navagite the woods. Having his wife there to witness it is a nightmare that I don't think any of us can fathom. All it took was for him to let his gaurd down one time and the unexpected happened.

RIP BOB, and hope all will wish your wife best of thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    ......F&G says it was fine, but also said it was between 10 and 20 years old at 230 pounds. ( not seeing the logic there.)

Is he what we would call a little bear, ( as some of the people in the world are little men/women )?.....
    Sure. Some bears have the genetics to be huge, and some never get as big. Also, a 20 year old bear is an elderly bear, and they've likely started to shrink, just like older mammals of all types.

And 230 lbs isn't really small. It's not a giant, but it's still a large predator easily capable of killing a man.

If you know what a bear is going to to next, you know more than the bear does!

Who said that?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    My thoughts on this is that there was something wrong with this bear.

F&G says it was fine, but also said it was between 10 and 20 years old at 230 pounds. ( not seeing the logic there.)

Is he what we would call a little bear, ( as some of the people in the world are little men/women )?
    There's a lot of bears with no fat on them yet, being it is still early in the year. @230, that's larger than most men, and all of it muscle. It likely squared well over 6'... not a small bear in my book!

There have been plenty of black bear attacks over the years. They size you up and go for it if they think they can take you. Remember the women geologist working for the USGS? Her boss (in SF) said guns were too dangerous in the field. She got her arms chewed off by a smallish bear in the upper Salcha country. The heli pilot saved her life when he heard her on the radio. She has two artificial arms. How about trapper Jim Smith, spies a large Blackie coming cross country for him hell bent speed... His dog bought him enough time to scale a tree, but he was still having to hack at it coming up the tree after him (only had a machete on him).... You can't trust a bear. Big Blackie will make a meal out of you if you let him... Don't kid yourself....

Unlike browns and grizzlies, black bears are known to immediately begin eating on the soft parts of a victim. That trait makes them extremely dangerous, in spite of popular belief that they are just cuddly little Teddy bears at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Unlike browns and grizzlies, black bears are known to immediately begin eating on the soft parts of a victim. That trait makes them extremely dangerous, in spite of popular belief that they are just cuddly little Teddy bears at times.
    True statement. I'd consider a black bear to advance with more velocity than a brown bear.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Had a nice 6 footer come under my 10 Ft latter stand and he stood up.........almost could reach over and scratch his head.........pucker factor!
    Alaska