Thread: Brown bear advice

Default Brown bear advice

Hello all. I have enjoyed this site with all the great stories and expertise. I truly love the great state of Alaska and have fished there many times and hunted there several times. I have shot a nice dall sheep, a great moose, and 2 black bears.

In the last few years I have really caught the grizzly bear bug. I have been on 3 interior grizzly hunts (2 spring and 1 fall) and have seen a total of 3 bears (a sow and 2 cubs). Don't get me wrong, I consider all three of these hunts successes as just being out in the beautiful country of Alaska is success enough. However, I do want to get a chance at a bear.

So I am ready to go all in and book a Kodiak hunt for 2014 or 2015. My question is do you feel the best opportunity would be a Spring or Fall hunt? I'm told the Fall hunt is good because I may have the opportunity at other hunting (deer, goats, ducks, etc) but honestly I just want to focus on bear and that's it. So I'm asking all the experts what they would suggest in my situation? Thank you for any help.

Spring second half of the season. Just about anywhere on the island if the weathers good and you'll have a shot at a decent bear. Be patient and IN shape!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wouldn't hesitate to go either time but like brwnbr I like the spring.. More daylight... Bears seem to be moving more looking for food and of course love..

Did you use the same guide all three hunts and if so will he be your Kodiak guide?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Spring as well. Hard to beat a big brownie not long from leaving it's den.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Spring no doubt. Nice weather..lol no budded trees, cool temps, long hair, glassing is much easier. contrast for bears and terrian is much easier to spot em..and the list goes on
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Spring is a wonderful time to be out and about hunting bears, but I like the fall hunting as well. Brown bears are normally congregating around the fish in the fall so locating them and approaching them can be "easier" than in the spring, but the bugs and weather in my GMU is always much, much worse in the fall. I gotta confess that if you ask me in the spring then I'd say that's my favorite or if you ask me in the fall around a salmon stream I'd say that's my favorite. The truth is, in a good area for bears both seasons are awesome times to be afield..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Spring second half of the season. Just about anywhere on the island if the weathers good and you'll have a shot at a decent bear. Be patient and IN shape!!!

I agree with BRWNBR. I have always gone to Kodiak in the spring and have had best success after 1 May.

Randy

Kodiak bears don't seem to be congregated on fish that late as much as other areas. Kodiaks fall season starts pretty late. Never shot a fall bear on fish down there.
    Master guide 212

Kodiak bears don't seem to be congregated on fish that late as much as other areas. Kodiaks fall season starts pretty late. Never shot a fall bear on fish down there.
    Exactly the same in Cold Bay. The fish are all but gone and the bears seem to know it and start heading up out of the flats pretty quickly at fall season opener.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Will, different guides.

So it looks like Spring is the general consensus. Another question then for the experts. After an email today it looks like I can book the early Spring hunt in 2015 or wait until 2016 for the later Spring hunt. Don't know if I can wait until 2016. Would you just go for the early hunt and hope for the best?

Thanks again for all the great replies. This site is awesome!

I'm not sure if this is a consideration for you or not but it would be for me. Are you concerned about hide condition? A question I'd ask would be are hides better in spring or fall. I don't know personally but from what I've been told by some is that there tend to be more rubbed bears in the spring. Just what I've heard...

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a consideration for you or not but it would be for me. Are you concerned about hide condition? A question I'd ask would be are hides better in spring or fall. I don't know personally but from what I've been told by some is that there tend to be more rubbed bears in the spring. Just what I've heard...
    Unless you were catching them shortly after leaving their dens?

Fact is, that a bear "can" actually be rubbed even in his den. But, as a rule, if you can find a bear den, or happen to see fresh tracks leading away from it, if you catch up to that bear within a few days, then chances are you'll have a prime hide......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd be happy to get to hunt spring or fall again in my lifetime!But if I had my choice it would be a fall hunt so after the target species is back at camp you can go chase the other critters you listed.Was nice to come home with more than just a hide last fall,them sitka bucks are tasty.Hide was not as furry as a bear out of the den but was even with now rubs at all.What ever season you choose I'm sure you will have a blast!Good luck in your future endeavor and make sure to post a hunt report!

I'd hunt early or late spring!! Shot some
    Great bears as early as April 15th but I would never hunt before that date!! Hides can be crap in the fall or spring, don't let that be a consideration on your timing.
    Master guide 212

I'd hunt early or late spring!! Shot some
    Great bears as early as April 15th but I would never hunt before that date!! Hides can be crap in the fall or spring, don't let that be a consideration on your timing.
    I don't know if I'd listen to BRWNBR, if I recall he's only guided 100 kills if my memory serves me right... Wealth of knowledge and experience...
    Tony

Thanks for all the replies. I hear ya tzieli22, if BRWNBR was still guiding, that's who would be trying to go with.