Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help planing first hunt in alaska!

Unhappy Need help planing first hunt in alaska!

Hi me and my brother are planning a trip up to alaska for the first time in august 2013. were in good physical condition so hiking for days is no problem. but were is a good place to moose/black bear hunt. were on low budget so ide be driving then hiking or renting a conoe. it doesnt have to be "trophy" quality (it would be nice) but im just wanting to have a good adventurous quality time with my brother and come out of alaska with some kills and stories. im looking at gmu 14,15,16,21... having hard time finding statistics on the densities of animals in the specific gmu's. any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Some questions first, hang in there with me..

OK..never been here?
    Do you know that the areas you listed are some of the most heavily hunted in the state..due to proximity?
    Do you know that your expectations are already set above where they should be?
    Do you know that there is no such thing as a low budget hunt in AK?...pun intended
    What are you specifically after...not that both can't be found in same area. But with a short amount of time it is sometimes better to focus on one species first. Then if the other comes a running why not. Or do a trip that will increase your odds for both.
    Can you afford to fly in to remote areas to increase your odds?
    Just a few and sure more will pipe in..call the local biologist that manages those areas, spend allot of time in google earth and make up your mind.

This forum is also a directory of a ton of information. You might even consider contacting thr guy who runs it Mike Strahan and ask him a few questions.
    Lastly, really consider a float hunt, or at a min a fly in..not that it cannot be done, but you will have increased your odds and the chance of leaving AK with more than some awesome memories.

So many more questions and don't want to discourage you as thousands come to AK in search of a dream hunt. But there is SO much preperation that needs to be done.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I agree with Dukchunter01 there is tons of planning and research to be done and Aug 2013 is coming fast!!! I have been to alaska hunting 7 times for moose twice but harvested a 54" moose one 1 trip seen 1 cow in 12 days on the other. The more research you do the better and if you can afford a fly in hunt you will increase your odds by getting away from the crowds!! I have hunted only in unit 21 but once was a fly in hunt and the other I flew to anvik and hired a trasporter to take us by boat up the Yukon to where we camped. I did both my hunts in Sept when moose where more vocal and receptive to call. Being this late in the year not that it can't be done but your pushing it for time and alot of the air charters are booked up but if you call around you might find a opening? Just spend as much time between now and then to cram as much info as you can get or wait until next year so you have another year to plan the hunt out better!!

Check out this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lanning-Primer

I am far from an expert.

But, I doubt if August is realistic. Also DIY is possible but much harder. I'd suggest that you gather the info in the attached link and start planning for fall 2014.

Also, you might want to consider flying to Alaska. Spending at least 2 days getting there and another 2 days getting home will take a lot of time away from your trip. I doubt that it is really much cheaper once you factor in all the costs.

Hafta agree with what's been said. I'm going my 1st time this Sept, moose/float/archery....started planning this Jan 2012, there's a lot of planning even if your going thru a reputable outfitter to take you in. You might want to rethink and start planing for 2014? Just my inexperienced 2 cents worth!

If you're willing to primarily target black bears, I think you can pull off what you're looking for - relatively inexpensive, excellent hiking and wilderness experience, and a good chance of success. If you add moose to that equation, though, you're going to immediately lose out on one of those three hunt characteristics - either your chance of success will drop dramatically or it will be quite expensive. It's just a reality - moose on the road system does not equal a high odds hunt for a non-resident DIY hunter (especially if you're concerned about trophy quality), and a fly-out hunt does not equal an inexpensive hunt.

Another point - September would likely be a better option regardless of your target. Very few moose seasons are open in August, and black bears will be voraciously feeding on blueberries on the mountainsides from mid-September on.

If you want good chances of success and an uncrowded experience in some amazing mountains, forget about moose and focus on black bears.

You can't go wrong looking at SouthEast AK for Black Bear and Blacktail Deer. If you ever watch and of Jim Shockey's TV hunting show, he is BC, Canada hunting Blackies...and it is a neighbor of SE AK. Do a Search on POW (Prince of Wales) Island and you will find a lot of info.

Moose are always the exotic animal, but if you are not prepared the right way it can be a disaster IMHO...Caribou are much more reasonable too.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Although a black bear and deeer combinatin would work, just not on Prince of Wales. At least not this year. It went to a draw hunt for non-resident wanting to target black bears. Despite what you mave have heard and seen on some hunting shows, the moose population in Alaska is not that dense. Moose are not behind every tree. Brian is offering some good advise, as usual. For your first trip decide what your primary animal would be then concentrate on that. There are some early to middle Aug opening for moose in the areas you mentins but again, as previusly stated by others, those areas are also the higher population centers and competition will be keen. Good luck in your quest.

My first hunt to Alaska was a moose/caribou hunt. A friend from work had done this trip many times and gave lots of advice. We hired a bush pilot from Nikiski and he flew us west to a very remote spot. We didn't see any other hunters or heard any shots. 10 days is a long time for the first time for two guys and to make matters worse, we were out on 9-11-2001. Luckily we didn't know about that until we came out on the 14th. We saw quite a few caribou, a few moose, one wolf and many grizzlys. Only scored on caribou but what a trip. However it wasn't cheap, not one part of it. So if that is something you are considering, save your money and go in a year or two. PM if you want more info.

Mark

hey duckhunter01. i have some friend that live up there i could prob squeze some info out of.
    i saw that they are heavly hunted. i have about a month i could spend away so iu was thinking of using the river systems. i noticed on the gmu's the scale of 18 miles goes about a third of unit 14. we could cover that in a few days to get away from the crowd, couldnt we?
    and im not expecting trophy quality, that would be amazing but i chose moose and black bear becasue of the relative abundance in ak. ide be down for whatever of the two we come across.

but thanks for the advice and any more youi could give i appreciate it

Yea brian M i quickly found out a fly out would be expensive but thats why im planning on doing a drive as close as posible then floating to the site. but i thought moose were one of the most common animals in alaska and that all you need is a tag for them? trophy quality isnt a must for me personally. anyways moose and bear are huge compared to dear. ha theyre all trophy in my book. i was gonna do both to increase my odds of finding at least one. either bear or moose. whats your thoughts?

Also thanks for that other point. will def take that into consideration

thanks roger45 for the info im def gonna look him up.

whyu would moose be a disaster, i would of thought black bear is more exotic, and why caribou

My first recommendation is to have a look at our Hunt Planning Pages right here on this site. We built them specifically for people in your situation. Give that page a gander, then take a look through the pages in the menus on the left-hand side of that page. Lotsa stuff in there on locations, resources, species, tactics, meat care, etc.

It's getting awfully late to plan a flyout hunt, but a road system hunt can certainly be done. As the others said, black bear is your best bet. But you better be in good shape to get 'em, because you're looking at climbing most of a 5,000' mountain to get into the zone. You've got to get above treeline where the berries are (mostly blueberries).

All the research sources you need are linked off the page I linked to above. Let us know if you need anything else!

Good Huntin'

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

thanks a ton Michael im going to look and live that page for the next couple months!! thankyou for the tips. Do you think it would increase my odds of success by also shooting for moose. or do they inhabit completely different areas?

by the way i think its awesome how you scourge the forum and personally respond. its greatly appreciated!!

I just noticed in another thread of yours that you're planning on bowhunting. Since that's the case, I'd suggest you look into caribou hunting on the Dalton Highway (also known as the Haul Road). In mid to late August you can get into some excellent caribou hunting up there. It's bow-only within five miles of the road, but as long as you have an IBEP card or equivalent, you're good to go. I still think black bear is a great choice, but I'd forget about moose - you'll have a far better chance of success with caribou on the Haul Road and you'll see things you never dreamed of.

thanks a ton dvarmit ive been looking everywhere for that information and i couldnt find it.

hey brian m, thanks for paying attention to all my posts. and yes i am doing bowhunting. ive been getting lots of advice to ditch the moose. im gonna go ahead and leave that for another visit then, when im sure how all this planning stuff goes and when i get familiar enought so i can start helping others with there hunt.

So caribou are really that close to the highway?? Im pretty excited now, what kinds of things am i in for at the dalton highway

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

dalton highway caribou...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by jackazb2 View Post
    what kinds of things am i in for at the dalton highway
    The Dalton Highway is the road that goes from Fairbanks up to the very top of Alaska. There are countless threads on the Dalton Highway/Haul Road on the bowhunting forum. There is literally days upon days of reading material there - do some digging and you will find a lot of excellent information. Most years there are also near-daily reports from up there which will help you plan on where to target your efforts along the road. Find where the caribou seem to be concentrated, hike 1-2 miles off the road to get away from the people that like to road hunt (and thus blow the stalks of others), and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast