Thread: Advice on Glen Highway trails

Default Advice on Glen Highway trails

I live in Fbx, I want try some of the trails on the Glen between Palmer and Tok. What would be a couple of trails for me and my son, we are experienced but cautious, I hate deep water crossing and the news today backs up my caution. I have looked at Eklutna roadhouse area, and I hear about Kings mountain or is it King River with a great view of Castle mountain? Am I correct? Camping areas and Gps coorinates would be helpful. On the subject of GPS, does anyone ever pay attention to what Datum they are using? I use NAD 27 or WGS 84 or what the map calls for, never could find what Google Earth uses for thier coordinates

You can leave your rig close to Eureka (good breakfast spot & they have gas) on the Glenn and ATV north. Its a well traveled area for dozens of miles North. Don't know about this time of year though.

The rivers are all high right now so any trail with big river crossings is not easy right now. Here are a few popular riding trail areas.

MP 66.7 Kings River Trailhead (access to Ruby Lake and Youngs Creek Trail above Ruby Lake)

MP 78.1 Permanente Trail

MP 89.2 Purinton Creek Trail

MP 128.3 Eureka Lodge. Best access to riding areas is from the gravel pit about 2 miles east of the lodge, free camping too. Lots of easy riding, water crossings are mostly hard bottomed and easy to cross. Awesome views from Monument peak.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    The rivers are all high right now so any trail with big river crossings is not easy right now. Here are a few popular riding trail areas.

MP 66.7 Kings River Trailhead (access to Ruby Lake and Youngs Creek Trail above Ruby Lake)

MP 78.1 Permanente Trail

MP 89.2 Purinton Creek Trail

MP 128.3 Eureka Lodge. Best access to riding areas is from the gravel pit about 2 miles east of the lodge, free camping too. Lots of easy riding, water crossings are mostly hard bottomed and easy to cross. Awesome views from Monument peak.

Thanks for this, I am looking forward to seeing more than my backyard

Boulder creek on the Purinton trail will be high, as will the Little Nelchina, behind Eureka.

Thought we would run up Kings River this last Tuesday for a quick ride. Got just a couple miles (right past the year round dwelling on the right) and got stopped. The river was high and diverted with the trail itself being a channel and fast water cutting across as well.Private property right there on the left so not able to skirt into the left looking for a get around. One month ago there was a jeep stuck in the hole that there is now water so I k.ow its chest deep and ugly ground under there....