Thread: Upper Chena update

Default Upper Chena update

There's now fish all the way up the river, but fishing is spotty and the fish are staying pretty deep. There's not a lot of activity on the surface so just look for a deep hole and run a heavily-weighted nymph through it, see what happens.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Thanks for the update. A few days in the seventies should perk them up a bit.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Looks like I missed it by a week, eh? Still, I had a grand time with the two I managed to coax into biting last week.

Mama took me up there yesterday, we fished from the 4th bridge/mile 49 down. Water is crystal clear up top with good flows and few if any fish. We nymphed and tossed dries into several very good looking holes, to no avail. We did not see any activity until the 1st bridge access area, where we found a few hanging around in side eddies and seams. I got one take on a nymph, which I lost, and had a couple refusals on dries. My wife was concerned that I was gonna go fishless on Father's Day. I told her not to worry. On the way out, we stopped at that mucky section of river just above Rosehip, where I've never been skunked. Sure enough, there were a half dozen fish that I could see hanging in the slack water. I got my "sympathy" fish here, a 16" fattie that was an absolute hoot on my 2-weight, and lost a couple others, with all takes coming on small dries. Last but not least, we are a few shades of red today, as we forgot the sun screen. Yeah, it was freaking hot!

I'm up north right now and I was talking to wife, and she was telling me ADFG shut down angel rocks for hikers ect... due to a couple sows that are cubed up and harassing people. Any info would be appreciated. I wanna head up to the angel ck area when I get home next week

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    I'm up north right now and I was talking to wife, and she was telling me ADFG shut down angel rocks for hikers ect... due to a couple sows that are cubed up and harassing people. Any info would be appreciated. I wanna head up to the angel ck area when I get home next week
    yes...Angel Rocks is closed for bear issues
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Called the Chief Ranger (college buddy) and spoke to him about this. He is planning on checking things out tomorrow with hopes of re-opening the trail. Either way, the closure won't afffect you fishing Angel Creek area. While he did say that the bear was hanging out a little ways up the trail from where it parts ways with the river, it probably wouldn't hurt to exercise a little extra caution. Love that stretch of water...he and I cut our teeth flyfishing there. Left or right from the confluence, you can't lose. Good luck!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."