Thread: Seward

Default Seward

We are leaving Homer, AK bound for Seward, AK tomorrow morning. Are there any reports on current fishing in the Seward area? I will be fishing from the banks of lakes and or streams/rivers.

Little early for the runs but good flounder fishing can be had off some of the public docks for starry flounder using cut bait (herring) on a smaller hook.

If you have waders you can go snag for reds at the mouth of the resurrection or 4th of july creek. Went this weekend and did well.

4th of July creek? haven't heard of that one. Could you clue me in?

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    4th of July creek? haven't heard of that one. Could you clue me in?
    It's across the bay from downtown Seward, just past the prison and the industrial park. You can also fish the beach by the city park.

How accesable is 4th of July creek from a boat? Is it deep enough to get in and catch reds? Don't have my charts maps with me to look
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

You cannot navigate it with a boat.
    You could fish the oulet into salt from a boat. It's a little creek.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    Little early for the runs but good flounder fishing can be had off some of the public docks for starry flounder using cut bait (herring) on a smaller hook.
    Is there a size limit on Flounder? Never fished for them before but My wife and I are talking about going down for reds next weekend but figured if we limit out early may go try for some flounder off the docks.

No size limit or retention limit to the flounder just make sure they are big enough to fillet. I would spend the day salmon fishing and hit up the docks later on. I use a medium light setup with about 10lb line with a small # 4 or 6 hook. You can expect to catch 6 to 8 inch cod, little sole and starry flounder the size of chicken halibut. Make sure to bring gloves as some of the fish can be pretty spiny. Fish about a foot off the bottom if you leave your bait laying on the bottom you might pull in a ten pound star fish. Kind of nice to kick back on some camp chairs and watch the boats come in. Good luck and post some pics if you have any luck!!

Ok, Ya we were talking about going for Reds, I was just thinking if we limit out instead of turning and driving back right away maybe trying for some flounder as well. I havnt fished much in Salt water so I am not to familiar with it. Closes to salt water fishing I have done was snagging for salmon of the shore lol. I am just thinking if we can limit out on Reds then we can turn around and maybe get a few flounder to bring home as well. I was told they taste pretty close to halibut, is that true? I need to pick up a paper copy of the regs and look into the salt water regs more too.

Sorry for getting off topic lol.

Flounder has it's own taste but still good eating. We normally broil ours in butter and brown sugar with some citrus seasoning. They fillet just like halibut the only difference is your going to be sharpening your knife more as the skin is like 60 grit sandpaper. Make a weekend out of as to not be rushed. I know living in the valley the drive can literally be a killer especially if you hit the rare all day of fishing in the sun.

Ok, I have never had it before so wasnt sure if it was like halibut or not. I will make sure to bring my knife sharpener as well.
    I would love to make it a weekend deal but can only get a sitter for the kids for Saturday and we want a day to ourselves without the kids lol. I have driven to Seward quite a few times actually but usually for work purposes or the occasional Silver run. I have never gone there for Reds or Salt water fishing before. I know from my house in Biglake it takes roughly 3-4 hours to get there depending on the traffic. We are planning on leaving around 6am so hopefuly we can get there between 9-10 fish till 6pm and then be home around the same. If the reds would start running around here this time of year like they do down there I would stay here and just go for them lol.

I do need to check the tides though and see when high tide is.

Gonna go try my luck at snagging this weekend as well. Will be my first time snagging. Good luck to ya

When is the best time to try to snag a few reds, right around high tide? Would be nice to catch a few reds from salt water and a pretty good fight hooking one in the tail!

The most productive time for us was from about an hour before high tide through the peak of the tide .

I was down there from Tuesday to Friday and snagged every high tide, probably saw a dozen or so fish get caught. Most success was a 2-3 hours after low tide. I know, I know, sounds wrong but that's when the fish were moving in droves.
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

Going to be down in Seward this weekend, any suggestions on some fishing? I think the snagging is winding down and it might be too early to go out to Tonsina Creek for Chums or Dolly. Any other suggestions for bank fishing this time of year? I've heard of surfcasting or throwing some herring under a bobber down by Lowell point, anybody have any tips on that? All info is much appreciated.

now that the Reds have passed where would a shore bound fisherman start attacking the Silvers (and how)??