Thread: Big Lake Pike

Default Big Lake Pike

I am after Big Lake pike and I am curious of some good shore fishing spots.
    Can anyone point me out to a decent spot for shore fishing for them?
    Thanks
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    I am after Big Lake pike and I am curious of some good shore fishing spots.
    Can anyone point me out to a decent spot for shore fishing for them?
    Thanks
    Good luck with that, most of the land is private property.

A couple hundred bucks for one of those cheap plastic kayaks would expand your fishing opportunities exponentially. Trying to fish from shore you are extremely limited. I frequently see used float tubes on craigslist also. Not trying to rain on your parade, just sayin' anything that gets you out on the water opens up a multitude of possibilities.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Like the others have said - shore fishing is tough. The only public access I know of is at the 3 docks - 2 on S. Big Lake Rd & 1 on N. Shore Drive.
    Once you get on the water - private property disappears.

I've seen them up in meadow creek weedy areas. Probably getting the little salmon coming down.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I've seen them up in meadow creek weedy areas. Probably getting the little salmon coming down.
    Man, what part of Meadow Creek DOESN'T have weeds?

Little salmon, little ducks, little muskrats, maybe little moose(?).

If you really want to fish from shore, head to Nancy Lake SRA and hike in to Red Shirt Lake. Granted, Red Shirt gets steady pressure on pike but they're there. For a few bucks you can rent a "cabin" (plywood box) from State Parks and a canoe from Tippicanoe. You pay for the canoe there in willow (MP64ish) and they give you your paddle(s) and a key. When you get to the lake you unlock your canoe at lakeside.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Lol ya lotta weeds. I have some land up from the old hatchery and its not to bad. But I've only seen pike
    In the lower part of the creek.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If you take a canoe or kayak out onto Big lake, steer clear of being out in the big open water. To many idiots fly around that lake. There is usually at least 1 fatality on that lake a year and usually do to drunk drivers. If you do go out in a canoe/kayak stay close to the shore line for your own safety and watch out for the idiots.

When I was a kid we were out in a 12 foot v bottom boat with a 9.9 fishing ( it was actually 1996 just 2 weeks before the Millers Reach fire tore through Big Lake), we had a jack azz in a big inboard v8 river boat fly past putting up like a 5 foot wave. It happened so fast my dad couldnt turn into it fast enough and it flipped our boat sending us all into the water. It hit so hard that I actually blacked out on impact and wake up looking up at the waves just before popping to the surface like a cork. To add insult to injury there were 3 other boats around, 4 or 5 jet skis who all buzzed over to take a look but not a single one of those a holes offered to help, they watched our boat sink and us floundering around in the water then took off. I have been a victim of idiots on that lake, I speak from experience on this.