Thread: Need advice and help finding helicopter or float plane

Default Need advice and help finding helicopter or float plane

Hello,
    My boyfriend and I bought 9 acres on Lake Wadell, which is on the west side of the Cook Inlet. Obvously remote. We are looking for either a float plane or a helicopter to take our cargo from Anchorage to Lake Wadell. I am thinking we need a helicopter, because we will have about 2000 lbs worth of cargo plus 2 adults. We are looking at a time frame around July 31st. Can anyone recommend a helicopter charter? Or a bush pilot....I guess we could go that route if necessary, although would probably need to make more than one trip, so costs would be a factor in deciding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Era helicopter in Kenai? I have a friend who flies choppers but she uses a Robinson that has limited load abilities, I will ask her for you.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you. Kenai is my other option. I'm not sure if I should have my stuff shipped from Florida to Kenai....if possible, and then a plane or chopper from there , or just from Anchorage. We will be flying into Anchorage.

Check the price on both. A beaver on floats can haul a lot of gear and it may be cheaper to have two trips in that then one with a helicopter.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

"Bliss" is right, helicopters are usually much more expensive to charter than a beaver. You can also strap external loads on a beaver than you may not be able to on a helicopter, depending of course on the helicopter. Call Trail Ridge 907 248-0838.

I will call them. Thanks

Definitely go for at least a Beaver. But if you find it still may not haul all your gear in one load then it's almost a given that an Otter can. I'm not up on all the prices but I think a chopper may still cost more than an Otter.

Give Willy at Rediski Air in Nikiski a call.....907-776-8985
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A Beaver on floats can haul around 1,200 lbs and is going to cost you somewhere around $700/hr. A Bell 206 can sling, I believe, around 1,000 lbs and will cost somewhere north of $1,000/hr. And, while a Beaver is no speed demon, I believe it still will fly faster than a chopper with a sling load, meaning less flight time you are paying for.

So, for 2000 lbs and 2 people youíd be looking at 2 round trips in the Beaver and at least two with a helicopter. An Otter might get it all in one go, but Iím not sure on the price for those. I donít have any recommendations for operators but you call around and you will start to narrow it down. Once you have some names you probably can get some more informative feedback on here.

Beaver on floats is the answer without question. Call Jimmy at Trail Ridge Air.... 907-248-0838. They do a lot of flying on the west side and have two Beavers that can go at once. Also if you only have 2,000 lbs you can take a Beaver and a 206 and save a little money.

That lake is about 45 miles from Kenai, and about 98 miles from Anchorage.

You will need to ask air services if they can land there. It looks big enough, but you never know.

Eventually you are going to want a heavy duty commercial grade set net skiff to get across the inlet to "town" and fish. Your area appears to have a bluff above the beach so you would need to address beach access and seasonal boat storage.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Check the price on both. A beaver on floats can haul a lot of gear and it may be cheaper to have two trips in that then one with a helicopter.
    I agree with that. A float equipped Beaver should be a bit cheaper - - - and faster, probably.

Did you ever get your stuff to Lake Wadell??