Thread: Horse radish

Default Horse radish

Easy / hard to grow up here ? And if your doing it, how are you doing it, ground ,barrel or big pot .I know it
    takes awhile .

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    Easy / hard to grow up here ? And if your doing it, how are you doing it, ground ,barrel or big pot .I know it
    takes awhile .
    Since no one has answered, I'll share what I've learned from planting it this year. I'm by no means an expert. I would plant it in the ground. From what I've seen the roots really like to branch out & it would be limited in a container. It likes full sun & rich moist soils. It does not like to dry out, keep moist at all times, but needs decent draining soil.

I would harvest 70% of it in the fall & place in slightly moist sawdust & use as needed. Or alternatively you could just process it at one sitting. In the spring I would replant what was left in a slightly different location than previous year to see if what you left in the ground the previous fall survived the winter & comes up in the spring.

The only place I found that carried it was Burpee, at quite an expense to ship it. Ideally it would be nice to find it locally, maybe at an organic grocery or other good grocery store. Or better yet a generous neighbor.

The Western Sunset Garden book says it can grow in all zones & likes moist soils in cool regions. It is from the mustard or cress family (Brassicacea), which includes cabbages, turnips, & radishes.

Supposedly, you can regulate the amount of bite during processing by how quickly you add the vinegar. Also, it is suggested to use a resperator & goggles when dicing it up. I can't imagine it getting that bad, but will soon find out.

Attachment 72601
    It grows like crazy. Be careful where you plant it because it takes over and is hard to get rid of it. Any little piece that you leave in the ground will sprout up in the spring. I will harvest this years growth in September after the first freeze. I leave the big woody roots to grow next year. I like to put 4 inches or so of mulch over it to keep the weeds under control. The slugs and root worms leave it alone. I started my patch with one small plant I bought at PM Nursery in Eagle River. After harvesting, I wash it and cut it into chunks for processing. When the fiber gets disturbed, a chemical reaction takes place that provides the heat. The longer it sits after you grind it, the hotter it gets. I wait three minutes and then pack it into jars with vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar stops the reaction. Then I store it in the refrigerator.

Have two plants going in a oak barrel and will harvest one this fall and let the other go till next year