Thread: Digging an Outhouse Hole in Permafrost

Default Digging an Outhouse Hole in Permafrost

Anybody ever had to do this? Is it a major problem? Any suggestions or tips on what works best for the job? Thanks.

Dig a little, thaw, dig a little, thaw, dig a little, thaw and so on and so on! Could take several weekends!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Then.. when it comes time to empty it... refer to previous post.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

If you are digging in permafrost you will want to build your supports back away from the hole as it will have a tendency to sluff off as it thaws.You could try using a electric jackhammer.

In the old days and some may do it today also, my dad cut both ends of a 55 gal. drum out, set it where he would dig and start a fire. Every now and then, he would move it and dig the hole out set it and keep repeating until he was satisfied.
    JOHN

Build a fire over the new site to thaw the ground.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Dig a little, thaw, dig a little, thaw, dig a little, thaw and so on and so on! Could take several weekends!
    Been there. Done that. No fun, but you are probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    If you are digging in permafrost you will want to build your supports back away from the hole as it will have a tendency to sluff off as it thaws.You could try using a electric jackhammer.
    Good suggestions about the supports and erosion into the hole Big Bend. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    In the old days and some may do it today also, my dad cut both ends of a 55 gal. drum out, set it where he would dig and start a fire. Every now and then, he would move it and dig the hole out set it and keep repeating until he was satisfied.
    That is a great idea alaska4ever. I don't know why I never thought of that before. I will try that.

Been there done that! 1. Go to AIH and buy a chipping bar. It is a heavy steel bar one end has a blunt point the other end has a blunt blade. 2. Do NOT melt the ground! Do NOT dig in late AUG or SEPT. Best in may June early July! 3. cut the ends out of a 55 gal barrel or smaller if you don't think you can hack it.... 4. Cut the moss off the top save it for insulation later. 5. Start chipping, you aren't digging you are chipping, takes a the better part of a day unless you are a bull! 6. Drop the barrel in the hole put outhouse over the hole asap. The reason for doing it early summer vs late is that the top layer my be thawed like jello it will keep sluffing into the hole if you do it early it will stay frozen till you have the barrel in to support the walls. Try not to put it in a spot that has drainage from up hill or you will have a slow flushing toilette.... The first one I did I used black spruce to support the walls. It has lasted about 15 years. Filled up and drained when it rained hard still can't figure out where the water is going? It has sank in over the years.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Been there done that! 1. Go to AIH and buy a chipping bar. It is a heavy steel bar one end has a blunt point the other end has a blunt blade. 2. Do NOT melt the ground! Do NOT dig in late AUG or SEPT. Best in may June early July! 3. cut the ends out of a 55 gal barrel or smaller if you don't think you can hack it.... 4. Cut the moss off the top save it for insulation later. 5. Start chipping, you aren't digging you are chipping, takes a the better part of a day unless you are a bull! 6. Drop the barrel in the hole put outhouse over the hole asap. The reason for doing it early summer vs late is that the top layer my be thawed like jello it will keep sluffing into the hole if you do it early it will stay frozen till you have the barrel in to support the walls. Try not to put it in a spot that has drainage from up hill or you will have a slow flushing toilette.... The first one I did I used black spruce to support the walls. It has lasted about 15 years. Filled up and drained when it rained hard still can't figure out where the water is going? It has sank in over the years.
    Wow. Sounds like you got this down to a science bro. I like the way you think. Thanks for sharing.

When you hit the hard stuff, get a wood fire going good, then dump a couple of 5 gallon buckets of coal on it. It'll burn for a day or more once you get the hang of it.

Dynamite!!

Sent while hiding from the boss