Thread: Camoplast T4S Tracks - Ranger 800 - worth the $$ ??

Default Camoplast T4S Tracks - Ranger 800 - worth the $$ ??

Debating on adding tracks for the winter to have some winter fun, but also improving the summer muskeg fun. Looking for past experience and thoughts. My thinking is why spend money on a couple of sleds for the wife and myself, when I could just add tracks. Pros, cons? Would be used mostly to semi remote property...a few miles off road system.

Worth every penny, IMO. Will scare you to begin with in the muskeg. Will go where only Argo's with tracks can go. I don't have much experience in fresh powder but if its packed at all they run great. Better than an Argo crossing creeks because they stay on the bottom. You tube has alot of video's and camoplast has some on tricks to get unstuck. Watch them as getting tracks out is different than tires. The trick is not to spin and if you do findout why. Also there is a difference in the track's with the research I did before buying- Camoplast proved to be the best.

If you go with the tracks, Call EPI and talk to one of the techys about a solid clutch kit to help you turn those tracks. I have heard they have a setup that works real good for Alaska. It was actually tested here in Alaska.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

All I know is that a co-worker got a set for his Can Am for the snow and said......"When you get stuck with tracks on YOU REALLY GET STUCK...!!!!"
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

All good advice so far! I hadn't seen or heard about the tricks to get unstuck with tracks so will research that for sure. The clutch kit, didn't cross my mind; however the driveline torque scenario did. The trail in is pretty good, but there is a few spots.. the more I go through the muskeg with tires it is worse due to the spinning and ruts. I was hoping to not break through on "new" muskeg with a bigger foot print. When it comes to the snow, I have a friend who has them and said it is the only way to go in the snow. He's tried others, but settled on the Camoplast. (he also only uses them in the winter) Thanks for the input, puts my mind at ease for settling/thinking on Camoplast. I will be doing more research before throwing down the $$, but so far I like what i've heard from you guys.

If you purchase the tracks from camoplast for your machine they are already gear and a clutch kit is not required. My friend had mattrax and had to have the the clutch changed. He lost all top end and was not happy. I did not and have had plenty of torq and lost very little top end. You will find many lovers and haters of tracks. Ask which ones they had as there is a big difference in performance.

Check atvtracks.net they seem to be the experts. I've been researching them for quite awhile and the camoplast is by far the most functional and the easiest to install and maintain. Let me know how they perform in the summer. Getting close to pulling the trigger myself.

I have run tracks for the last two years on my 2010 Ranger HD and at times they are amazing, they also can be a bother at times. I have the front come off a few times until I learned how to drive them and avoid rubbing them on the side of objects but I got good at rerailing them by just hearing the noise they make when it happens and backing up puts them right back on. The rear tracks have never unrailed unless you back up then if you are stuck then they come off in one revolution, the trick is go slow and don't get stuck. The biggest problem with the rear tracks is the approach angle of the rear track as they are blunt and will not climb trees or roots so you have to hit them at different angles also when you hit something with them it puts great strain on the rear torque arm that I have broken several times and now don't use at all and installed a stop to keep them from flipping(still not perfected). If you are not a mechanical minded person stay away but if you are and don't drive like an animal (like my trail to cabin can make me) they work great, if the rear falls through the tundra in a super soft area they tend to dive under it and it takes about an hour to get out with a board and handyman so be prepared.

Default Anyone in Alaska selling Camoplast?

Does anyone in Alaska, particularly Fairbanks, sell Camoplast tracks?

I want to put a set on a Polaris Sportsman 800 this fall (for use here in Barrow), and would prefer working with a dealer in Alaska rather than shipping them in from Outside.

Got mine at
    Alaska Cycle Center, Ltd.
    4908 Old Seward Hwy.
    Anchorage AK 99503
    Phone: 907-279-9478
    Fax: 907-279-4086
    Ask for RJ he knows Camoplast the best.