Thread: Paxson Lake Ice

Default Paxson Lake Ice

Any word on the thickness of the ice at Paxson Lake anybody? Last I heard about a week ago, there was still about 2-3 feet of ice on the lake. I am hoping to still take my family up there the last week of June to do a float trip down the Gulkana. If anybody has any information please share with us what you know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Any word on the thickness of the ice at Paxson Lake anybody? Last I heard about a week ago, there was still about 2-3 feet of ice on the lake. I am hoping to still take my family up there the last week of June to do a float trip down the Gulkana. If anybody has any information please share with us what you know. Thanks.
    As of today, the 14th, the lake is still unfortunately frozen. I found out the hard way.-Josh

We were planning a trip this weekend. Frozen, maybe next weekend?

I spoke with the BLM this morning and they tell me that the ice is in slabs and free from the sides. Warm temps and some wind will free it up by Sunday! Temps in the interior is expected to be in the 80's for the next 4 days. Our first trips go out next week!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

We just got off the river last night. Packrafted from Dickey Lake to Sourdough. When we shuttled back to Tangle Lakes it still looked like there was a lot of ice on Paxon Lake but it did look like there was water showing all around the lake so you might be able to paddle along the shore to the outlet? The river has a lot of wood shoved up onto the banks. The river below Canyon Rapids has a few places where there are some of the channels are blocked with wood. We were able to float around any wood there was but when the water level goes down you might not be able to get around it. So I would recommend scouting if you cannot see ahead. Most of the camp grounds that we looked at had been flooded and were muddy. Part of the portage trail that runs along the river at Canyon Rapids has been washed out.

Akdd - great report and thank you. I was suppose to head out last Thurs my self and thought better of it. Besides lots of boat prep for rentals had to be done so till the end of June. Will be interesting to see how it changed this year.

The latest!!

I spoke with the BLM who are headed up to Paxon for a recon boat trip. The report is floating ice on the lake , open leads yesterday but closed off today. They are calling me this even with a full report and I will pas it along. As of Thursday I will have 3 groups out (Ice permitting). Keep in mind that there will be log jams that you will have to deal with so pack a say! You first few groups will have your work cut out but the rest of us will thank you.

Next report will be tonight or in the morning! There should be a nice smolt run going on at the exit, take your gear and expect Lakers!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

The lake looks like chocolate milk on the north end today. Wind is outa the south locking up the lake with ice. So the north side of lake is really dirty.

I just got off of the phone with the BLM and Paxon Lake ics blew out last night and the exit is also free of ice. The BLM River Crew just headed to the lake and will take the first trip down today.

Word of caution!! It is very windy out here today and you do NOT want to be on Paxon Lake is it is windy. That lake is BIG and getting caught in a raft/canoe trying to cross during windy conditions is dangerous. I like to launch my groups in the late afternoons because the wind begins to die down with even temps. Expect to have ice on the shores of the river and the traditional camp sites will be muddy and messy. Take a saw!

You guys who are headed out have a great trip and be prepared for log jams and the unexpected.

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    9078-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the continual reports Walt. They are very helpful. I am tentatively heading up that way in about a week. Hopefully the water will come down some more by next week and the shorelines will dry out a little.

I just returned from dropping off our first up river fishing group. Paxon is perfect! Water clarity at the boat ramp is perfect so I expect the outlet will provide some excellent fishing for Lakers.

In the past 2 days I have had a number of groups stop by looking for oars, tents, stover and other misc. gear that they have forgotten in the rush to get out and going. Keep in mind that we are a full service rental service. Not only rafts & canoes but anything needed like camp gear to dry bags.(We deliver all of our rafts to Paxon so you don't have to!) Look us up on you way by!

Walt
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images