Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimping this season?

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    I meant 6am to 10 pm fishing period. And only 20 boats fished last opening but that still puts a 1,000 pots soaking
    Only 800 if they all fished the limit last period ?? I'd bet there are more rec pots soaking all week long between whittier and valdez than what the com guys fished. How many pots do you think get set by the rec fleet every weekend between the two ports ??? I'd bet its double the com fleet. I don't want to start a peeing match between all of us, we're all guilty of catching those bugs and when the time comes we should all give up something. We need to approach fish and game as a unified group not a bunch of different groups all grabbing for the biggest piece of the bug pile.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yup, the commercial guys have their harvest areas rotated every 3 years, so they only fish an area once every third year.

The rec shrimpers hit the same areas year after year, week after week and hit the areas closest to port the hardest. Based on what all of us are seeing, we need to cut back our take and let the fishery recover.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default I agree

We need to protect this resource. Like everybody else, I have seen significant decreases in how much I harvest. I don't see a catch limit being enforceable; too easy to cheat. I would certainly support fewer pots AND a shorter season.

Lets be realistic; how many of us depend on shrimp to keep our families fed over the winter? We can all take the money we spend on pots, line, buoys, gas, parking, launch fees, and all the other costs of running a boat and buy all the shrimp we can stand at Freddies.

I like catching and eating them as much as anybody. However, if there were not one single shrimp to be found anywhere in PWS I'd still be out there.

My two favorite places to shrimp are both closed to the comm guys all the time and I think now they are getting fished out by the sport guys. How many of you that are reporting weak catches this year are shrimping Blackstone and Cochrane bays? Maybe we (the sport guys) have finally fished these areas down. Maybe its time to close Blackstone and Cochrane for a couple years to let it recover a bit.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Iíve noticed in recent years where the commercial guys have dropped pots the shrimping is poor. In these same areas before the resent commercial spot shrimp fishery started the shrimping was good. When you prospect with 30 to 50 pots, finding the sweet spots (pun intended) is easy. By the time F&G figures out an area has produced its harvest quota the damage is done. Case in point, Copper Bay last year. Copper Bay is a small ecosystem that should have never been opened to commercial shrimping; one guy over fished the area in just a few days, now it will be years before the it recovers. F&G shut the guy down and closed the area to commercial shrimp harvest, although a bit late.

Suggest you write F&G and question their ability to manage the commercial shrimp pot fishery. Also voice your opposition to opening the Nellie Juan in 2015.

With that said, the only good shrimping Iíve found is in areas closed to commercial shrimp pot fishing.
    It doesnít take a genius to figure out where the shrimp are going in other areas.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Cochrane bay is getting HAMMERRED, and has been for 3 weeks solid - it should be shut down to sporties right now.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Iíve noticed in recent years where the commercial guys have dropped pots the shrimping is poor. In these same areas before the resent commercial spot shrimp fishery started the shrimping was good.
    As multiple members here have noted in this very thread, the same trend is present in the areas that are only open to sport fishing. If it's overharvest driving this trend, it's happening due to both sport and commercial pressure, as it sure isn't commercial pressure driving the decline in areas like Blackstone. I would wager that ocean conditions are a part of the issue as well, but that is only a guess. Regardless, if management changes need to be made (and they very well may), simply changing commercial regs isn't going to accomplish much - again, look to the reports from those that shrimp in areas only open to sport fishing.

I shrimped Blackstone last year very early ~ twice and moved on since...
    I just felt like it was overpressured and I hate competition and the gut wrenching feeling when people are messing around my sets.
    I try to find spots off the beaten path.
    We set pots Thursday ~ Sunday and never saw another shrimper/buoy the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My two favorite places to shrimp are both closed to the comm guys all the time and I think now they are getting fished out by the sport guys. How many of you that are reporting weak catches this year are shrimping Blackstone and Cochrane bays? Maybe we (the sport guys) have finally fished these areas down. Maybe its time to close Blackstone and Cochrane for a couple years to let it recover a bit.

I'm thinking more towards ocean conditions. Years back I've gotten some of my best pulls in Passage Canal within sight of Whittier so certainly as much pressure as an anywhere. I've also shrimped other areas that don't see nearly the pressure and in theory should produce as well as Whittier, but haven't. It's been a few years since I've shrimped there and I plan to get out there this season so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Maybe its time to close Blackstone and Cochrane for a couple years to let it recover a bit.
    Would worry about shutting down only specific areas or bays ..... as this would sure shift more pressure to the remaining areas. Maybe shorten the season at both ends ..... and maybe even drop one pot.

how far out from port do most guys run?

Just for shrimp? My best shrimping until recently was about 12-15 miles from Whitter. I have seen pots less than a mile out and as far as I have run, 80 miles, and everywhere in between.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have never shrimped PWS before. I have the boat and can hold the fuel so was wondering if it is best to make a run farther out to start with. Maybe do a little shrimping and halibut fishing out at Montague?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    We need to protect this resource. Like everybody else, I have seen significant decreases in how much I harvest. I don't see a catch limit being enforceable; too easy to cheat. I would certainly support fewer pots AND a shorter season.

Lets be realistic; how many of us depend on shrimp to keep our families fed over the winter? We can all take the money we spend on pots, line, buoys, gas, parking, launch fees, and all the other costs of running a boat and buy all the shrimp we can stand at Freddies.

I like catching and eating them as much as anybody. However, if there were not one single shrimp to be found anywhere in PWS I'd still be out there.
    Shrimp at freddies = turds in shells

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The farther south you go, the crappier the shrimping, from my experience.
    Our trend over the last few years has been declining #'s of shrimp in the pots. We had spots that would produce well and those places are no longer producing. Lately if we get enough to eat on a daily basis, we are pleased. Years past we could fill 5 gallon buckets on a single pull, 2X a day.
    I would hate to see this opportunity dry up as a recreational shrimper as it adds value to the trip each time we are out there.
    BK

That's a novel idea! Approach them with one voice. Really? Seems to me there's two very different groups talking here. There's the rec guys who never had a problem till the others came on the scene!!!! ADFG will hear what I think about it but it's not going to be some kumbaya crap cause were not the ones with the problem here. Actully, I think this is great and as some have mentioned, we don't rely on shrimp to feed the family. Just give it a couple years and the comm guys will have screwed this up in grand style and they will implode at that point. Yea it will probably be over for all of us for a while but I got a good day job. You can talk sea conditions or rec pressure or what ever but I still contend, "the catch fell off in each area after the comm guys went thru" which seems to shoot all those other theories in the butt. I guess while im ranting I should mention the bait - - any of that coming in a non labeled bucket from our buddy, is crap. I've probably got another bucket around here that I'd give someone. At Woodstock it was the brown acid now someones cutting into my fun time with bogus bait, what next Mike

Close the season early leave the early season to the diehards that aren't scared of a little cold and snow on the ramp
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    That's a novel idea! Approach them with one voice. Really? Seems to me there's two very different groups talking here. There's the rec guys who never had a problem till the others came on the scene!!!! ADFG will hear what I think about it but it's not going to be some kumbaya crap cause were not the ones with the problem here. Actully, I think this is great and as some have mentioned, we don't rely on shrimp to feed the family. Just give it a couple years and the comm guys will have screwed this up in grand style and they will implode at that point. Yea it will probably be over for all of us for a while but I got a good day job. You can talk sea conditions or rec pressure or what ever but I still contend, "the catch fell off in each area after the comm guys went thru" which seems to shoot all those other theories in the butt. I guess while im ranting I should mention the bait - - any of that coming in a non labeled bucket from our buddy, is crap. I've probably got another bucket around here that I'd give someone. At Woodstock it was the brown acid now someones cutting into my fun time with bogus bait, what next Mike
    It is simply incorrect to blame it solely on the comm guys when they shrimp areas once every three years, and more importantly the areas that many of us are seeing huge declines in the shrimp are always closed to commercial shrimping. I've done well in areas that have been shrimped commercial in years past, and this year I've done noticeably poorly in an area that is always closed to commercial shrimping, was outstanding a couple years ago, dropped in 1/2 last year, and 1/2 again if not more this year.

Whereas a couple years ago I could get a gallon of shrimp per pot on a good pull

I'm lucky to get a gallon of shrimp from 5 pots this season.

Is the cause over-harvest, is the cause water conditions that have allowed more effective predation on shrimp, is the cause water conditions have caused reproduction to be less effective than in the past or is the cause water conditions are not supplying the same amount of nutrients as years past? Who knows, and it's likely a combination of factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    You can talk sea conditions or rec pressure or what ever but I still contend, "the catch fell off in each area after the comm guys went thru" which seems to shoot all those other theories in the butt.
    How does your contention apply to areas that haven't been open to commercial fishing in ~25 years? If the commercial guys are the problem, why have catch rates fallen by a comparable amount in Passage Canal, Blackstone, Cochrane, and Nellie Juan? You can tell ADF&G what you think, but if you don't take those areas into consideration, your perspective that the problem is the commercial fishery isn't likely to carry much weight.

I guess I made it sound too simple, sorry. let me take it a bit farther.
    When the commercial guys came on the scene, many of us moved on, totally out of the units they were fishing. Did we move to areas we were not "pressuring previously" ? Of course. Does that have an impact on the population, of course.
    Here's the deal, I realize I'm fighting a loosing battle but I'm not going to be happy about it and certainly am not going to join forces with a very small group of commercial shrimpers who feel like they have arrived! We can do without this piss ant fishery!
    Several years ago I started blowing this horn and am not going to simply roll over, this is a piss ant fishery that benefits at most 2 dozen crews and is potentially ruining a much larger piece of recreational enjoyment for many dozen individuals.

Did or didn't the commercial guys drag the shrimp populations into the toilet in the 80s? We know the answer to that one, why do it again?
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast