Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimping this season?

Default Shrimping this season?

I'm curious if it's my imagination, not being used to being on the water in sunlight or not but it seems like the shrimp this year are a much paler color than years back. I'm curious if others have noticed the same thing. I'd also read comments about how the shrimping has really tapered off and that was my experience as well in the spot I spent most of my time on Friday night. Two years I dropped a couple pots there on the way out fishing and it was unbelieveable how many large spots I pulled on the way back. Last year I did several soaks with all five pots in the same spot and with 5 pots I was catching less shrimp than with two the previous year. This year the same spot yielded less than 1/2 as many shrimp as last season.

On the upside, the first pull did yield enough shrimp for a decent meal for two teenage boys and myself.

Doing some prep work.

Spot shrimp tacos and I sorted out the stripes for ceviche.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

that clout container looks like my honey bucket

That looks good. I have not noticed that there color is off but I certainly have noticed that there seem to be reduced numbers in my normal spot, about half or less than I would get last year in a normal soak. So far this year I don't think I have even put any away for winter as they get eaten up before I get that far.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Your experience in dwindling numbers mirror mine exactly.

Angry

Once again - a shining example of AKFG not responsibly managing a renewable resource. There are way too many sport and commercial shrimpers out in PWS IMNSHO. 4 years ago I fished a bay and we would see maybe 2 or 3 other pots fishing it. Now it is plugged all week long and on weekends (not open to commercial shrimping). I am guilty of harvesting them myself, but at some point very soon, the AKDFG should put a limit on individuals. Who needs 3000 shrimp to feed their family for the winter - really? Put a 10 or 20 or 30 gallon limit on the individuals and slow the commercial guys down. I heard on the radio last Friday of a shrimp TRAWLER *****ing about too many nets where he was trying to trawl for shrimp. A couple weeks ago I heard multiple commercial pot shrimpers complaining about the lack of shrimp - but everyone has pots down. It won't keep working folks....mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I heard on the radio last Friday of a shrimp TRAWLER *****ing about too many nets where he was trying to trawl for shrimp.
    The trawlers are targeting sidestripe shrimp in depths greater than 1,000', not spot or coonstripe shrimp.

I thought that they were after a different variety (read something about it here or elsewhere on-line last week). I still think that the shrimp are being overfished by all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I thought that they were after a different variety (read something about it here or elsewhere on-line last week). I still think that the shrimp are being overfished by all of us.
    That different variety is in fact a different species, and one that inhabits significantly different habitat than spot shrimp. I'm not questioning your point that the resource is being over-stressed - on that point I agree.

So what do you guys think needs to be done ??
    Shorter season, catch limits, less gear per boat, areas closed after a certain amount of bugs taken out of it ??? I think first thing would be a shorter season, would hurt the least most folks are fishing silvers or thinking about hunting later in the season/early fall.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Shorter season. Maybe start it in mid May or even June. Plus we wouldn't be catching all the preggers then too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Seems like there were reports of egg laden shrimp this spring, so maybe May 1 would be a better start. Then shave 15 days off the close as well as we see more eggs in the fall. I would cut the pots to 4 as well.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We've been fishing 4 pots this season after losing one inthe rocks last year.
    We set two new single pot records this past weekend 75 and then in this shot thereare exactly 100 in our 3.5 gallon bucket.
    Over the long weekend we managed 802. I am aware there are many of you out there,who put up much larger numbers, I'm pretty happy.
    There were only 2-3 eggers on this trip and for the year I've only seen about adozen with eggs out of 1344 shrimp.
    Our number of egg laden spots might be different than other's but maybe thelack of is another concern for future stocks.
    I have noticed a bunch of smaller spots [just slightly larger than coon's] thisyear too. So, we seem to be catching really big ones and some smaller ones withless than middle-size than I've seen in the past two seasons. Not sure how longthey take to mature [Potbuilder?]. We have enough to get through and share forthe season. Like last year, we put the pots away until our airman appreciationtrip when we sponsor deserving young military to experience our passion.
    Good luck to all out there and remember to spread out a little. There were so many buoys in Derickson's when we stopped for glacier ice it was as tough as running the gauntlet of commercial set netters.

bear 2013 050.jpg

The shrimp that we got this past weekend where also pale in color. I did notice that the shrimp we got where significantly smaller than the ones I have gotten earlier in the year but that was in a different bay. As far as shrimp numbers I have never pulled pots with more than about 20 shrimp per pot so I wouldn't be able to tell you if the numbers are dropping or not. I would be for reducing the harvest season or making an individual quota if that meant having a sustainable fishery.

The size seemed fine, plenty of whoppers but I was suprised to see how quickly the numbers have dropped over the years. Then again the area I was shrimping is hit really hard, so more suprising is that it produced as well as it did two years ago.

As far as how to manage the shrimping, that's a tough one as some areas are going to be hit alot harder than others and hence should or could be managed differently than other areas.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

We've seen this going down hill for years now. I'm starting to think ADFG is doing it on purpose they can't be that clueless. There's something going on here. $$$$$$

Nothing against ADFG but I've long held that you should never ascribe to conspiracy that which you can discribe with incompetence.

That said, given the tools they have to work with for most fisheries it's extremely difficult to manage a fishery short of waiting until it crashes and saying oops, we gotta reduce the take. The flip side is most people get pretty bent out of shape with reductions in season, takes and method's/mean's until things go really bad and for more than just one season. They're in a ****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't position so the safe position is to just do nothing.

Almost no one else shrimps where I do...and I don't think I fish the area out with 5 pots. Yet, shrimp numbers are down drastically the last couple of years. No commercial shrimpers where I am either. Not sure about paler colors this year, I only shrimped 1 week in May so far, and results were discouraging...but last year in August, when I am used to a majority of eggers, we caught maybe 1000 shrimp or so and only 3-4 had eggs, really! Now, everything seems to be happening later, like the salmon runs, and perhaps the shrimp just got into eggs later, but this was too dramatic to be just a timing thing. IMO, I think ocean conditions are the major factor, not the take...at least for now and for this sudden change.

That said, it doesn't matter what is causing the downturn in the population...measures need to be take to keep it sustainable. Chopping off the end of the season might save more egg-laden shrimp, but if that is all that is done, it won't be enough, because we need more shrimp to make it to the egg season...so, I would suggest fewer pots, as well as maybe starting the season later, and ending it earlier (even though that will cut my personal season which is mainly in August...)

Great to see Steve/Potbuilder calling for fewer pots and a shortened season even though he makes part of his living making and selling shrimp pots and accessories, respect to him and some of the charter captains on the forum who also champion sustaining the resources whether for fun or a living!

Manage the catch limits per permit, then manage by area... I spose then some will lie on their permits....

i don't really see it being a money issue since the permit is free with our fishn license.

Well, they raised the commercial boats to 50 pots starting June 12. And increased there hours to 6am to 10 am. Remember they shut down the commercial shrimping last year early , I think to over harvesting in one area. Not sure. And they shut down part of the commercial area this year because they reached there quota already this year. And they are averaging 1.72 # of whole shrimp per pot. Doesn't really sound like enough shrimp to make it commercial viable. But it is true there are a lot of Alaskans and there families that enjoy the sport fishery. I only get there once or twice a year. I sure hope it gets better. Maybe it is an ocean problem

I meant 6am to 10 pm fishing period. And only 20 boats fished last opening but that still puts a 1,000 pots soaking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast