Thread: K-bay Candy

Default K-bay Candy

I finally got the boat in the water this weekend and headed out with the boys for some shrimping, camping, and a little bit of fishing thrown in. I'd like to say Mongo like candy, but for the life of me if my family was to depend on my ability to catch halibut in PWS they'd starve. Not to mention my boys don't have much patience for slow fishing. I did manage a small 'but on Saturday but was using a leadhead. The candy was stashed so I broke it out the next day on the way back.

The boys had the option of trying another alleged halibut spot or one of my rockfish spots that useally yields some nice fish. They said they'd rather go for rockfisyh. It ended up being one of my hands down best times fishing. We had about a 1/2 dozen Dall porpoises buzzing around the back of the boat and putting on a show, amazing weather, not another boat around and we managed to limit out on yellow eye in short order.

This pic pretty sums up the weekend for anyone who was able to get out and enjoy it.

A big thanks to Chris for developing a dandy jig. I'm pretty sure I was using one of the lighter ones and tipped it with a small tab of gulp on the single assist hook. My second yellow eye was one of the largest and it litterly slammed the jig right as it hit bottom and put on a pretty good fight. I put it on my older sons rod and he managed to get his two the candy. The youngest boy was running a leadhead with I think a green grubtail.

As far as the location, steep, rocky and about 250' deep When we'd drift shallower then ~200' the bite would stop so we'd motor back deeper and try again.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Nice catch Paul! Hopefully I can get my wife on a few of those ugly orange fish this summer.
    I think I know where I can get a couple of those jigs too!
    Thanks for posting the positive report and I'm glad the jigs are working for you.
    I have yet to try them out on my favorite halibut spots but I do know the Pollock love the 4oz versions.
    We were staying in Halibut cove over Memorial weekend and decided to play around close to the cove.
    Couldn't keep them little buggers off the jigs.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We've spent many wonderful Memorial day weekends in Halibut cove, but unfortunately didn't make it out this year. We did pretty good catching P-cod at Gull Island and picked up a small halibut in years past. Also found the pollock pretty thick in Halibut cove.

I'm hoping to give the jigs a good test throughout the summer. The problem is I have so many jigs it's hard to figure out what to use. I have a 5 gal bucket with an assorment of leadheads we started out with, many "butterfly" style jigs, crippled herring, pt. wilson darts, diamonds, and now some k-bay candy to add to the arsenal. The best news is we didn't loose a single jig. I think the most fun catch for me was a yellow eye on Saturday. We'd pulled the shrimp pots and I figured what's see what's here as we'd drifted into ~200' of water. I put a 2 oz green/silver pt. wilson style jig on and dropped it down. Rockfish on a salmon rod are generally a much better match and it's nice seeing a good bend on the rod! Also made for a nice dinner spiced with some asian black beans, chilli paste, onion, cilantro and lime.

That's the first time I've managed to only catch yellow eye at that spot. We usually end up with a few quill backs. We did catch a few quill backs on Saturday and put my new recompression device to use. Pretty slick for returning the smaller fish that don't have too much baro-trauma. I can't imagine sending one back down with it's stomach distended and eyes bulging out.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.