Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Point/River Boat Launch

Default Anchor Point/River Boat Launch

I am thinking of going to Anchor Point this weekend halibut fishing and have never been. I would like to avoid the tractor launch if at all possible. Has anyone had any experience launching from the river? I have a 20 foot hewescraft sportsman with a sportjet. If I launch at high tide when would it be ok to come back in, about 2 hours before high tide? Like I said I've never been before and would like to try but just wanting to see what I can expect. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks -Adam

Iv'e launched there plenty of times. And used to have the same model boat. (Loved it) Be sure to launch and recover at high. Also, another truck would be nice to have too. Ya don't want to end up like this guy that looks just like me......

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Charterboat Operator

GREAT PIC ROB!!
    AND TO THINK , WITH AN INFLATABLE???
    Mathews; one thing to know / think about is there is only like a 15tide this weekend, you need at least 12-13 feet to get into the river at all, so your time will be limited unless you go out on high and come back in on the evening high. which can be done with the timeing of the tides this weekend.
    other than that the 65 bucks for the tractor is nothing compared to having them come tow you out for 100!!!
    good fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    other than that the 65 bucks for the tractor is nothing compared to having them come tow you out for 100!!!
    good fishing.
    Also less than a new prop.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

It looks like its a go...Were going to launch and return on high tide on Saturday and Sunday and return with the evening tides. Hope all goes well and we can find some halibut!!! Thanks for the info.

Good luck, let us know how it turned out.

Hey Rob I have to check this thread once a day to make sure that photo is still there. Not sure I would have posted that photo if I had done that.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

What is your plan in case the weather comes up and you can't get back in the river? Can you put your boat on the beach? You can nose into the river and wait and follow the tide up sometimes, but be advised that the lower part of the river is very shallow and that is difficult. You might have to wait until the tide is up to the bluff to get in. Also, if there is a big wind, the waves can really build on the river mouth bar and getting up in the shallows can be difficult since you need to slow down to avoid the rocks but then you lose power and mobility. I pay the $65 and don't use the river anymore.

The plan if the weather gets bad is to just beach the boat and wait...But there is still the possibility of tractor launching. We haven't decided yet. I will let you guys know it goes. That's my only fear with launching the river is waiting for the water to come back in if the weather picks up. Great points to think about BN2FSH Thanks. If my other buddy goes then that's one more person to split expenses with and I will just tractor launch.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Good luck, let us know how it turned out.

Hey Rob I have to check this thread once a day to make sure that photo is still there. Not sure I would have posted that photo if I had done that.

John

JR2, That was several years ago and we had a great day fishing out there. Launched there many times too. This one time, we had to back farther out to pick up the boat. My buddy was driving and as he was pulling me out, the front tire hit a rock and caused the others to spin in that soft sand. Down she went..... Water filled the truck and driveline. Before I could get it to the shop, the tranny was toast. I learned a big lesson that day. Never launched there again either.....
    The wife still says she misses that Zodiak because it was cheap to run and we always caught big halibut in it.
    MMSI# 338232859

Worst case scenario you can always run to homer and take shelter in the harbor and get a ride back up to where your truck is parked if weather rolls in. If you use the beach I find it helps to pull in and out at a 45 degree angle so your truck isnt trying to climb the hill on the beach in the soft sand. It has worked well for me the few times I have done it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I grew up in a camper on the beach in deep Creek campground, seen lots of people with there trucks underwater. Once saw a truck get towed to shore with a boat.. Your not the only one.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I saw a truck that spent a tide under water in Deep Creek near the mouth that had prop marks across the roof of the cab. I miss those days at Deep Creek when all "the action" happened almost every day. This is my 47th season fishing there so I have seen a lot.

Jack R.

Is it really up to $65 for the tractor launch? Wow. I launch in Homer and motor to Anchor pt. Found it pretty easy without the hassles of a tractor launch. I have had to many close calls with the surf and inexperienced trailer handlers that I enjoy the scenic run up, and it is pretty quick to. One thing for sure though is I will never try and launch from the beach. If your dead set in running out of Anchor then just pay the money for the tractor.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I think launching in homer sounds fine. Looks like about a 15-20 mile run to where I want to fish so that wouldn't be too bad. Thanks again for all the info.

The run to Homer in a 20 foot boat will seem like a life time if the weather comes up. I have seen it go from absolutely flat to 6 foot waves in 45 minutes. If the weather starts getting bad, Todd the tractor guy will be getting reports from the charters out farther and he will start calling the small boats on the cell or radio and tell them to start heading in. This past weekend it got really gnarly out in the afternoon and it went from flat to scary really fast. Several of us sat there watching boats come in. All made it but some were not so pretty. A zodiac came in, cut the power, put the motor up and a wave caught him and put him sideways on his trailer. He had low bunks and the waves were going over the top and then dropping out. The best are the experienced charter captains who have high bunks and run up on the trailer at a pretty good speed. As soon as the boat is on Todd starts pulling it out. When it is up he hooks it up and winches it on tight. When the weather is bad Todd does all the tractor driving himself and he no longer has the waterboys on the back doing the hitching.

Well we're home and it was awesome!!! We ended up launching out of homer which was the way to go. Saturday the weather was terrible with fog and very confused seas. Still managed our limit though. Sunday was gorgeous, flat calm water and super hot out. Had our limit by 1:00 after being picky about size. All in all we ended up with 114 pounds of fillets for the 3 of us. It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back. Thanks for all the advice about launching the boat. We will continue to just run out of homer for halibut.

Congrats. I logged in just to see how you did and there it was. Homer sure is a great place to fish. Post up some pictures when ya get a chance.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    Well we're home and it was awesome!!! We ended up launching out of homer which was the way to go. Saturday the weather was terrible with fog and very confused seas. Still managed our limit though. Sunday was gorgeous, flat calm water and super hot out. Had our limit by 1:00 after being picky about size. All in all we ended up with 114 pounds of fillets for the 3 of us. It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back. Thanks for all the advice about launching the boat. We will continue to just run out of homer for halibut.
    Glad it worked out for ya!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Charterboat Operator

When the weather is bad Todd does all the tractor driving himself and he no longer has the waterboys on the back doing the hitching.

YOU DONT KNOW HOW LONG THAT HAS TAKEN TO GET HIM TO DO THIS! FANTASTIC GUY THAT TODD IS, ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP OUT, PAYING HIM OR NOT.

For some reason the pictures aren't working...We did get a few though, but not good ones. Ill keep trying Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast