Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Guided outfit in Cooper Landing: Kenai Fishing for Fun - anyone ?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    40

    Default Guided outfit in Cooper Landing: Kenai Fishing for Fun - anyone ?

    Has anyone you might know have used Brad @ Kenai Fishing for Fun out of Cooper Landing ?

    I am re-thinking my trip to Alaska since Kings are non existent in the Deshka & Little Su.

    Hoping to get some reds in the Russian river and considering using Brad @ Kenai Fishing for Fun for hike into the Russian River - third week of June.....

    Anyone - any experience with this outfit ???

  2. #2
    Member ysr_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Happily in So Cal.
    Posts
    583

    Default

    I found this http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ng_Alaska.html

    but all of the reviewers only have one review each which is kind of suspicious.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Good eye ysr; I'm a destination expert on trip advisor (not for AK) and ferreting out "one post wonders" is one of the things we try to do. In this case, I agree it's odd that all his reviewers are first or second time reviewers, and none of them have any forum posts at all. On the other hand, they have sign-up dates scattered from '09 to 2013, so if this guys manufacturing positive posts he's been at it awhile, and is pretty good at it, adding varied specifics throughout the different posts.
    My guess is these are legitimate posts...but no way to say for sure. If someone really wanted to, you can PM Tripadvisor members (once you sign up for free) and ask them specifics about thier posts.

  4. #4

    Default

    I know brad pretty well and fish with him regularly. He really is a genuine guy and a great time on the water. Like I said, I fish with him often yet still book a day with him when I have family come up. Nobody on the upper river I would rather give money to! HIGHLY recommended. Btw I am one of those trip advisor posts, I can tell you he is not manufacturing reviews, I did it because he made sure my family from Oregon had such a great trip and I want him to continue with such great success.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Thanks a bunch folks!

    I will be booking with Brad and driving to the Kenai since the Kings are so poor this season.

    I appreciate the help and looks like 6 days till I land in Alaska!

    Quote Originally Posted by JBrowning View Post
    I know brad pretty well and fish with him regularly. He really is a genuine guy and a great time on the water. Like I said, I fish with him often yet still book a day with him when I have family come up. Nobody on the upper river I would rather give money to! HIGHLY recommended. Btw I am one of those trip advisor posts, I can tell you he is not manufacturing reviews, I did it because he made sure my family from Oregon had such a great trip and I want him to continue with such great success.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm glad to hear you decided to go with him! I can't make any promises about the fish being there but I am sure you will have a great time and probably adding to the trip advisor info! Haha

  7. #7
    Member ergoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    166

    Default

    JBrowning, My family and I spent the morning with Brad yesterday on the Kenai based on your recommendation. The river was high and fishing was tough but we had a GREAT time! We caught a few trout and dollies, had a great time on the river. He was a great person to work with my kids and pointed out several specific details for my future floats with friends. Highly recommended.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    JBrowning, My family and I spent the morning with Brad yesterday on the Kenai based on your recommendation. The river was high and fishing was tough but we had a GREAT time! We caught a few trout and dollies, had a great time on the river. He was a great person to work with my kids and pointed out several specific details for my future floats with friends. Highly recommended.
    Ergoman -

    This is nice to hear!
    I will be going Saturday morning with Brad up to the Russian river for the NEW EO 6 limit Sockeyes!

    Will let you know how it goes....

  9. #9

    Default

    I'm really happy to hear that you guys gave him a shot, and even more so that you took the time to let the rest of the forum know your experience! Thanks, I hope you enjoyed our great state and river!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBrowning View Post
    I'm really happy to hear that you guys gave him a shot, and even more so that you took the time to let the rest of the forum know your experience! Thanks, I hope you enjoyed our great state and river!
    JBrowning,
    We were so tired getting into and out of the Russian river on Saturday with Brad but the trip was unforgettable!

    Brad really knows his stuff - even though we did not limit out, we learned quite a lot about fly fishing, bear country, and combat fishing.

    Everything you forum members have reported were true about fishing in Alaska.
    Interestingly it was our first time fly fishing - we never fly fished - always bait casting saltwater in California.

    Brad found us a hole 20 feet from the ADF&G marker below the falls and we saw a lot of fish travelling up the fish ladder.

    Although we picked up fly casting quickly, Brad spent most of his time trying to keep other anglers from encroaching on our spots and cutting leader lines that were snagged on the rocky river bed - I must of lost over 10 weights and 15 hooks of his. Felt bad but he says it is common - everyone else was losing their tackle in the rocks too....

    You know you have a real guide who steps in front of his clients and other anglers who were stunned and froze with that "deer in the headlight look" when a brown bear showed up on the trail. He calmly steps forward and tells the bear to move on which the bear does. That bear sure did clear out the families with small children out really quickly BTW:
    Russian.jpgBrownBear.jpg
    The picture of Brad with one of the boys that just caught a sockeye.
    The other picture is the bear above us just before Brad stepped in.

    It's ironic that earlier in the day when some ignorant anglers when they found out Brad was a guide, gave him some negative comments towards us because we hired a professional. And then later to find out that the professional stepped in, shooing away the bear was a confirmation that Brad kept ALL of us safe.

    The boys all learned something new, experienced catching salmon, and will have memories that will last a lifetime - that was well worth the cost of hiring a guide

    Thanks to all who gave positive input on Brad with Alaska Kenai Fishing for Fun.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •