Thread: Suggestions for freshwater lakes to camp/kayak/fish on?

Default Suggestions for freshwater lakes to camp/kayak/fish on?

Hi guys,

Any advice our some of the more scenic lakes where someone can camp for a weekend, catch some fish and kayak?

I've never spent a weekend on a freshwater lake here in AK before, so any advice would be great. Maybe trolling for lake trout might be fun since I've never caught one. Also, as odd as this sounds, I've never even seen a grayling before and I've been coming to AK for the past 5 years before moving here.

Im in Anchorage, but would be willing to drive pretty much anywhere.

Thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Based on your question, the first lakes that come to mind are Lake Louise/Susitna/Tyone, Paxson and the Tangle lakes, they contain lakers and grayling. Be sure to check the regulations first, I do not know if they are lakes or species that are closed until July 1, or some other thing.

There is also Hidden Lake down on the Kenai Peninsula. There is no grayling there but it has a really nice campground and some good lake trout and rainbow fishing. Head south past Cooper Landing to left on Skilak Lake Road (at Jim's Landing) go a couple miles down that road and its clearly marked on your right. good luck... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Denali Highway - Brushkana River

If you have never driven the Denali Highway, I would suggest it for a good weekend trip. Brushkana has Grayling and a nice campground.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm thinking maybe Paxson lake might a good one to try. I did see someone just started a thread about ice thickness on that lake though. So maybe its too early.

Dude, you're going to bounce around grayling ideas without inviting me along? Seriously!

Depending on when you want to go, I want in! Grayling are my favorite fish, and since I was there for your first sockeye, I want to be there for your first grayling as well. Let's talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Dude, you're going to bounce around grayling ideas without inviting me along? Seriously!

Depending on when you want to go, I want in! Grayling are my favorite fish, and since I was there for your first sockeye, I want to be there for your first grayling as well. Let's talk!
    HA! I thought you were in Deadhorse for 7 months taking a course or something???!! haha!
    See you in 5 days at the russian.
    Yeah, I gotta catch a grayling.

Fuller lakes is a nice hike with plentiful grayling. Would work best if you had a float tube/pack raft that you could pack up the trail. Pretty close to the Russian if you're headed that way anyways.