Thread: opinions on a new boat

Default opinions on a new boat

I am looking around for a new boat, I want to buy a small one when its just me and a buddy heading out. Looking at the 16' sportsman with a f50. Wondering how they handle in moderate river chop 1-2' waves. Will probably spring for the suspension seats, they work wonders on the inboard. Have a 19' sled with a f105 on it, was considering a 18' sportsman and putting that motor on it, but may be too much weight hanging off aft. Buddy of mine has a early 90's with a 35hp, the fuel economy on that is excellent.

I assume your talking the Hewscraft Sportsman?

Do you really need the windshield/soft top?

I ask because with the flat hull (22 degree deadrise forward and 10 degrees aft), sitting so far forward is really uncomfortable even with suspension seats. I spent a lot of time in Sportsmen belonging to friends, a 16 and an 18, and I didn't like either of them. Then I got to ride in a friend's 180 Open Fisherman with the center console. The ride and handling were astoundingly better. Being so much further back makes all the difference.

When it was time to slap cash we ended up buying the 200 Open Fisherman with center console. My wife and I can easily load and unload it on the trailer, and I use it lots by myself. The larger size is a non-issue, and the extra couple of feet tames the seas even more. I don't even slow down for the 1-2' chop you mention. And without that windshield/console up forward, they're unbelievably roomy.

One more point, and I'll drop my trumpet. I thought long and hard and opted for the F50 on mine rather than going bigger and faster. We can do 27-28mph with two people in it, and still only drop to 25mph with 5 people. Due to the flatish hull it's also very fast up on step. Best of all, we can run and fish all day on less than 6 gallons of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I assume your talking the Hewscraft Sportsman?

Do you really need the windshield/soft top?

I ask because with the flat hull (22 degree deadrise forward and 10 degrees aft), sitting so far forward is really uncomfortable even with suspension seats. I spent a lot of time in Sportsmen belonging to friends, a 16 and an 18, and I didn't like either of them. Then I got to ride in a friend's 180 Open Fisherman with the center console. The difference in ride and handling were astoundingly better. Being so much further back makes all the difference.

When it was time to slap cash we ended up buying the 200 Open Fisherman with center console. My wife and I can easily load and unload it on the trailer, and I use it lots by myself. The larger size is a non-issue, and the extra couple of feet tames the seas even more. I don't even slow down for the 1-2' chop you mention. And without that windshield/console up forward, they're unbelievably roomy.

One more point, and I'll drop my trumpet. I thought long and hard and opted for the F50 on mine rather than going bigger and faster. We can do 27-28mph with two people in it, and still only drop to 25mph with 5 people. Due to the flatish hull it's also very fast up on step. Best of all, we can run and fish all day on less than 6 gallons of gas.
    Yea sorry, I meant the hewescraft. I figured if I am going to buy another boat 18'+ I would rather just take the f105 that is on my alumaweld and use it on the new boat. The kids don't like using it because it is a flat bottom with no top with a walkthrough windshield. I will check out the 18 and 20' models, I like the sound of a 6 gallon day, can't beat that!