Thread: Sheep Hunter "Incentive Hikes"?

Default Sheep Hunter "Incentive Hikes"?

I will walk on a treadmill or hike a close trail vs doing nothing but I really like trails that get me up into where the sheep live. I am curious what training trails folks are using to get in shape that also get you into sheep country.

Twin Peaks in the Eklutna lake trail system is a solid one that I really like. 5.6 miles round trip with the option to go off trail at the top and add endlessly to it. I always spot sheep from the end of the trail.

I am hoping that we can get a decent list together with mileage and some idea about elevation gain and how challenging the trail is.

I am planning to hit bold ridge with hopes that I can get up and see some animals but it is a lot more than an after work quick trip unless I hit it on a day when ATV's are allowed along the lake.

Windy Point south of McHugh Creek always has sheep around. There's a couple totally shabby trails and a lot of rock scrambling. It's kind of sketchy to try to get up to sheep level but nothing different that actual hunting. I never hike up past the first few hundred yards but I stop and spot there every time on my way back from working in Girdwood. There's a new lamb up there this spring.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

No doubt if you walk far enough you can find sheep in every mountain range. I was more looking for good after work trails with easy access for getting in shape and predictable areas that hold sheep. The Turnagain arm trails seem like cheating to a point. Not a lot of incentive added to hike in for a look when the sheep are hanging out by the road.

I am trying to get a list of trails to try based on distance/elevation and the amount of time that I have available to check it out. For example 2.6 miles up twin peaks trail puts you a couple thousands feet above Eklutina lake and into an area where you can glass sheep. It's possible to continue up on game trails from there and ridge walk as far as you want to go. It's an easy after work trip.

I am going to check Bold Ridge on a weekend. The long approach down the lake side trail eliminates it from the after work list unless you take an ATV on an open day.

I haven't been up Pioneer Peak trail but will hit it up soon. There is no doubt sheep country up there, I am just curious if it is reasonable to get into it on an after work hike or I I need to save that trail for a weekend.

I have no idea about the trails up eagle river area but they may have potential for after work hikes as well.

Yes I can read a hiking book, yes I can find out all of this info on my own. Yes I can choose not to share anything I learn with anyone else. This is a forum and the topic was brought up simply for conversation sake. My end goal was to get a few destinations picked out and possibly help get some after work forum hikes going.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I like hiking hatcher - good steep hills, but I think you'd have to go a ways to see sheep. I've been wondering about matanuska peak area too.

Lujon, if you're hiking after work you need to start working longer days. I leave the valley at 6 and get home between 830 and 900 - doesn't leave much time for a hike.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Williwaw Lakes was always my go to trail. Lots of sheep to glass from afar or climb to get close.

Quote Originally Posted by VilasBowhunter View Post
    Williwaw Lakes was always my go to trail. Lots of sheep to glass from afar or climb to get close.
    Just read a trail review on this hike, it is on the list to check out now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No doubt if you walk far enough you can find sheep in every mountain range. I was more looking for good after work trails with easy access for getting in shape and predictable areas that hold sheep. The Turnagain arm trails seem like cheating to a point. Not a lot of incentive added to hike in for a look when the sheep are hanging out by the road.

I am trying to get a list of trails to try based on distance/elevation and the amount of time that I have available to check it out. For example 2.6 miles up twin peaks trail puts you a couple thousands feet above Eklutina lake and into an area where you can glass sheep. It's possible to continue up on game trails from there and ridge walk as far as you want to go. It's an easy after work trip.

I am going to check Bold Ridge on a weekend. The long approach down the lake side trail eliminates it from the after work list unless you take an ATV on an open day.

I haven't been up Pioneer Peak trail but will hit it up soon. There is no doubt sheep country up there, I am just curious if it is reasonable to get into it on an after work hike or I I need to save that trail for a weekend.

I have no idea about the trails up eagle river area but they may have potential for after work hikes as well.

Yes I can read a hiking book, yes I can find out all of this info on my own. Yes I can choose not to share anything I learn with anyone else. This is a forum and the topic was brought up simply for conversation sake. My end goal was to get a few destinations picked out and possibly help get some after work forum hikes going.
    There are two trailheads on either side of Windy Point. I saw 5 sheep about 600 yards up this morning, two of them were lambs. It'd be a far drive for you, but that is a guaranteed place to get to them.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you want a butt-kicker full day hike, this one we did last summer is an awesome incentive hike. We started at the top of Mile High Drive and hiked up and around to the Baldy trailhead. If I recall correctly, we figured that it covered somewhere between 12-14k of vertical among 7 named peaks and 14 miles of cross-country. Nothing technical and we ran into a band of 8 rams along the way. (We actually started somewhere around waypoint #2, not #1.)

Shorter hikes are to be had from both of these trailheads as well. I don't often see sheep until I'm past Blacktail Rocks coming from the Baldy trailhead, but there are often ewes on the faces below the ridge that you can access from the Mile High trailhead.

Harp Mountain up at the end of Hiland Road is another good one. Sheep will sometimes be found on the backside overlooking Eagle River, especially if you follow the ridge around to the right after summiting. That one can be done after work.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The Dishwater Creek trail (off Crow Creek trail) is pushing 9 miles round trip from the Nature Center to the moraine and can be done in a long evening.

Although there aren't any sheep, I did Lazy Mountain in Palmer on Sunday and its a good grind. Over 3,000 vertical feet in just over two miles. Pioneer Ridge/Austin Helmers Trail is 4.5 miles and just over 5,000 feet vertical and Matanuska Peak Trail is 4.1 miles with 5,670 feet of vertical. I have the brochures on my desk, not reciting from memory.

I jus did the williaw trails, but you can cut to the right and make it all the way up omalley peak, that's a great get-in-shape hike. Also try falls creek about a 30 minute drive south of anchorage, sheep everywhere and steady incline. If you want straight up try bird ridge down just past bird creek; thats an ass kicker. Wolverine Peak (also in the glenn alps area) is about 11 miles RT and gets a lot of elevation. Mount Baldy(onto the blacktail peaks), Mount Maginificent and Mount Significant out of ER are great too. I forget the name but if you get on the other side of eagle river there are some good hikes.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Just a thought......but it would be good to "Overlay" this info with a copy of scheduled Mountain running race events, so that one does not get three miles in and have a thundering herd of runners pass you, and find your truck blocked at the trailhead by race officials.