Thread: 45 colt

Default 45 colt

i got a 45 colt revolver from my dad and i wonder is it a good round for hunting can i defend my self against black and bigger bears in montana

People say that a .44 magnum is minimum... I disagree with them though. They also say the biggest caliber you can shoot. I think people can get sufficient with any caliber if they put the time in. .45 colt is too small in my opinion. Some will tell you it's fine, or say its better than a miss with a larger caliber. I would prefer a .454 casull or larger. I carry a .500 that I practiced with until I was sufficient enough to be comfortable. I shoot it often to stay familiar with it.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by woulvkite View Post
    i got a 45 colt revolver from my dad and i wonder is it a good round for hunting can i defend my self against black and bigger bears in montana
    What make/model revolver do you have? Generally, the .45 Colt is a very fine round for hunting as well as bear defense, and you shouldn't be discouraged by naysayers. Capability of the revolver itself will vary depending on make/model, age/condition; you can NOT fire the same power rounds in an old Colt as you can in a Ruger New Model Blackhawk or similar revolver, for example. Here's a good read on the subject: http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

+1 on iofthetaiga's post. 45 Colt is a very potent round, and if you have a Ruger Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, or Redhawk, it gives up nothing to full house 44 Mag. Even in standard pressure form, it will be a great pistol for nearly anything but a charging angry Brown Bear.

If you have a Ruger New Vaquero, it's still a great pistol with a potent round, but is a little less strong than the others I mentioned.

If you do not already, I suggest reloading for the 45 Colt. Given the cost of factory ammo, and your ability to tailor your loading to the capabilities of the individual gun, it is a wise investment.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All I was saying, with a larger gun, you have larger margins for error. With a charging bear, there will most likely be error. No gun is too big with an angry brown bear (which there is potential to encounter) but some guns are too small.

I figure a 360 gr. "Hardcast" bullet trotting along at 1,175 fps (7.5" BBL.) will Get'R-Done. It works on Elephants.

Buffalo bore makes a "hardcast" 360 at advertised 1400 fps for the Colt. I didn't like shooting it in my redhawk. I now load 330 grain Brooks at about 1250. I would much rather have my .338 win mag for a pizzed off Griz - much much rather....but my .45 LC is easier to keep on me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    All I was saying, with a larger gun, you have larger margins for error. With a charging bear, there will most likely be error. No gun is too big with an angry brown bear (which there is potential to encounter) but some guns are too small.
    Statement don't hold water
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Statement don't hold water
    I don't see any leaks. Haha. Bigger does it better, when the shooter is capable of recoil management.

My colt is a S&W model 25 fired 12 times federal and light load winchester kikes like 9 mm semiauto i was serprised any thoughts on rifles i like bolt or semiauto my brouther favors the lever

That's a nice gun, but not made for high pressure. I would consider Buffalo Bore's standard pressure heavy loads if you want maximum penetration for your pistol/caliber.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i never carried a handgun in montana and spent my the majority of my life there until here. even in the scapegoat/bob marshall/great bear wilderness areas where griz are common i just carried bear spray, way lighter and prob as good as a .45 colt for bear defense. i think the .45 colt would do the job fine, the noise is usually sufficient but id still go with spray. most people can't shoot handguns for crap anyways i'd rather not have an angry wounded bear.

Quote Originally Posted by woulvkite View Post
    My Colt is a S&W Model 25, fired 12 times. Federal and light load Winchesters that kick like a 9mm semi auto. I was surprised, any thoughts on rifles? I like bolt or semi auto my brother favors the lever.
    Read this, http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/21...-thoughts.html As far as the type of action on a rifle it is pretty much personal preference. I have all the above and to add one to the mix, break open. Like the Thompson Center. Choose the action you like and set a price range (if you're looking) and what you consider to be acceptable accuracy and start whittling the field down. For a big game rifle, and some may disagree, 2.5 MOA with factory ammo is just fine out to 300 yards. Pick your quarry and with a range in mind that you will take most of your shots go from there. Too many times a shooter, on his quest to be a hunter, puts unrealistic expectations on themselves and their equipment wasting time and good money searching for accuracy they don't need for their style of shooting whether dictated by their ability or terrain. Just remember. For every game animal shot at 300 yards plus there are five that someone took with a bow at 40 yards. You appear to be a new shooter/hunter (pardon me if I made the incorrect assumption) so continue to ask lots of questions and read, read, read, read until your eyes bleed but most of all take your time and enjoy the sport.

lots of choices of ammo that will do what you need- without stressing the 25.

CorBon 300 gr jackets, 280 to 340 hardcast, heck even the 250 gr Barnes loading is still "Normal" pressure. Just don't shoot a lot of higfh pressure loads.

The Model 25 is usually a very accurate revolver.

Just do your three "p's" before trusting it with your and others lives.

Chris