Thread: Float/motor canoe hunt DC483, eastern unit 13

Default Float/motor canoe hunt DC483, eastern unit 13

Have 2 483 permits to fill this year. Looking for a water base hunt if possible. So far have identified a few possibilities.
    Fielding Lake
    Summit Lake
    Paxson Lake
    Tangle Lakes, N or S of Denali Hiway.

Looking for advice on good bou area. Any other spots along the Rich or Denali a guy could drop a canoe and do some hunting?

Thanks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I know of a hunter who took there canoe (or kayak) north on Tangle Lakes and got a caribou. When I was trying to fill my 483 I noticed that one of the most consistent xings was just east of the Swede Lake trailhead. The caribou would be coming out of the hills from the general direction of the Tangle Lake on the north side of the Denali hwy and crossing the Denali hwy headed SE. A fun trip would be to take your freighter canoe and go north on Tangle Lake towards the outlet. There are some nice hills to glass from that are an easy walk from the lakeshore. I'm thinking most folks will be oin there wheelers so you may not have much competition. Don't forget your fishing poles and have a great time!

For what it's worth, we have hunted the tangle lakes area in the past for moose. Awhile ago now 2008-2010? We were usually in the vicinity in the last week of season (September 13-20). Out of the 2-3 trips we made back there only one caribou was spotted. This was all north of the highway a few miles.

I logged in to create virtually the same thread. Is it possible to float hunt the DC483 area with a 15' Grumman Sport Boat and a 4 hp outboard/oars/and canoe paddles? (I might could sail it, if I get the rigging finished in time, but highly unlikely.)

I know little of the area (beyond fishing Tangle Lake last year) and less than nothing of the area lakes and rivers. I'm hunting with a friend, a lifelong Alaskan who grew up in a village. I'd really like to use my Sport Boat because I don't own a 4 wheeler or other motorized ATV. I grew up on the water and am a competent small boat handler, but I don't have any whitewater experience.

Anyway, I've been looking at maps of the DC483 area, and Fish and Game collar studies of Caribou migrations in the area, and it seems like there are several rivers/waterways that might be good transportation corridors in, through, and out of the DC483 area, but I don't which if any, are navigable for a boat like mine.

The Gulkana West Fork looks like a good way to go west into the middle of the area, at least until it gets into those crazy oxbows. Twelve Mile Creek. Then thre are all of those Tangle Lakes, especially for going south-my map shows rapids going north and my boat is too heavy to portage. There seems to be a lot of north south rivers on the east side of the richardson and north of the Tok Cut-off, too.

Has anybody done this and done it in a boat like mine, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

PS: I plan to ptarmagain hunt Tangle Lakes in Aug. Looking at the maps, with all that water, I wonder if it's good duck hunting, too. Maybe I'll wait until Sept. and plan a kind of Caribou/Waterfowl/Upland Bird/Fishing trip out of this.

Edit: I'm working with pretty old maps (National Geographic Topo! Alaska Software). They show the Trans-Alaska Pipeline with a notation "under construction."

I am looking at possible the same thing, I have an Aire Traveller that I may take up there

Yeah that trip is hard to plan without local knowledge of the rivers. I can look at a map all night long, but how do I know that those little curvy blue lines are navigable with my boat or if they're just 4" deep braided streams without actually taking the boat up there and doing it, at which point, you might as well go hunting because you've just spend the same amount of money.

Tangles if you go North of the highway it is do able with your rig , but is you leave the main lake an go down river you will work your butt off coming up an out , as low water will make it very hard to motor back out , have to pull a lot , lots of ROCKS if you are ready to pull it can be dun, lots of ALDER along the river the closer you get to what they call the falls an I think you need some open ground for for your BOO hunt if I remembr correctly the BOO's like fairly open ground to be in its has been a few years sence I have been there an could have changed some
    that small ENG you have don't like ROCKS [ SHEER PINS ] when they break is when you need the ENG the most [ get into some trouble with them ] SID

yip, sid has been doing this since before I was born! Loosing a sheer pin when pushing a fast water chute.....it can get ugly. Just scramble for the paddle as fast you can, you'll need it.

I lost a shear pin in the Suwanee River once and had to walk 5 miles up stream to get the truck while a friend took the canoe downstream. Nothing serious, but a valued lesson. I have probably 50 shear pins for that engine. (I cleaned out my Dad's shed (an old time marine mechanic) and found loads of old Evinrude 2 stroke parts.) A side not to that, however, is that what REALLY worries me is I only have one prop, and props for that thing are nigh unto impossible to find.