Thread: Need some info on drift boat for fly fishing...

Default Need some info on drift boat for fly fishing...

Looking to buy a drift boat. Curious if anyone might suggest a make and model. Wife, son, dog, and perhaps a fourth person at times. Will be fishing a few tailwaters which are class 2-3. Not sure what would be a suitable size and style boat Any insights on which brands are higher quality than others. Aluminum or glass. That sort of thing. Thanks for any insights.

Dan

Really hard to beat a Willie. I personally like a lot of room so i was looking at the 19x66 seemed to be a good mix of size and ability to move around still. Ended up getting a Predator so never looked more for a drifter. If you have the chance look around and see if you can row a few others get a feel for what works for YOU.

Plus / Minus Dan. I like Willies my self but we all have bias just human nature. If you are plus'ing up to 4 people plus oars-person you should consider the 19x66. Remember they oar a little different than a round boat so some adjustment period and performance differences will be noted. Best of luck with your potential purchase.

Regards

RMM

Thanks man. Found some good trout rivers about 4-4.5 hours from the house. Looked at a nice aluminum trailer for my Sotars and a fishing frame with anchor set up. Cost really added up and closed in on the cost of just buying a drift boat. Sure would be nice to just hook her up and take off for the weekend. But then there is that little problem. I don't know jack about drift boats. Ha ha... The only somewhat local dealer of drift boats sells Hyde Contenders and LP's. Kind of relying on you guys for insights as it is obvious what he will steer me towards. Not exactly a big demand for drift boats here in NC.

Dan

I love my Clackacraft. Look through their catalog on line. Full set ups, trailer, oars boat. Just my opinion. Good luck on your search

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You got the $$$$ Goober so get a Pavati!!!

http://pavatimarine.com/boat_models/drift-boats/

Carrie is going to kick your azz

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Carrie is going to kick your azz
    You want her to ride in a Cadillac right...?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The Pavati has doors and a heater. Pricey like a Cadillac as well. $15,000

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    The Pavati has doors and a heater. Pricey like a Cadillac as well. $15,000
    Are you as tight as Joe or tighter?

I have a Hyde that works. Their customer service is as bad as it gets, I overnighted them the money for my boat and trailer, it then took many emails and ignored phone calls for them to,ship the boat. It was like 6-7 weeks before, they even had shipping arranged. I am from where they make them so I was about ready to remind them that I "know" people there. If I do business with them again it will be face to face, and I take the product home the day I pay for it.

I love my Clackacraft! Great boats, they're lite, draft little water, and are easily maneuverable. Lots of options on them too!

Heard Hydes row well. Fish Rite guy myself. Owned 2 that are both awesome boats! Thinking that the next boat might be something different though.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Thanks guys. Recently talked with an owner of RO Driftboats in Bozeman,Montana. Impressive boats and fair pricing. Lots of boats out there. That is for sure.

http://rodriftboats.com/

Dan

+ for HYDE also clacka isn't bad. i've rowed both on the missouri in MT which is a pretty flat river. easy to handle in wind with low sides.