Thread: How many carry spare tire for their ranger

Default How many carry spare tire for their ranger

Whoo Hoo Justed picked up a set of 28 ITP 589 for the ranger 4x4 just wondering how many carry a spare in their bed

Not a spare but a lot of plugs and tire sealant with a decent air compressor.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

The one time I didn't have a spare I couldn't set the bead and ruined the tire. Always a good idea on a 1100# rig.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Not a spare but a lot of plugs and tire sealant with a decent air compressor.
    Same here. Ether and match will set a bead.

I stay away from the flammable beading tricks sinse Murphys law will get me. I use a ratchet strap and the back of an axe to seat mine.

I carry a spare tire.
    I carry tire plugs, air comp, spare belt, liquids, small tube gasket sealer, and a cheap solar charger (phone/battery). Guess it depends on how far back you want to go, and if you travel alone (one ATV vs two) and willing to walk out. Certain areas have many people that will help, other areas this may not be an option. Take care of your horse, and it can make your life EZ. Some people like to walk, i'm just not one of those. Of course when the horse dies, I wish I had a warm sleeping bag, gun, bug dope, matches, and a small saw. Life is all about perspective.
    Yes I carry an extra tire.

Was with a Razor last week. It poked a rock through a wheel. The spare worked great but I added JB Weld to my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Was with a Razor last week. It poked a rock through a wheel. The spare worked great but I added JB Weld to my kit.
    And that is the reason I pulled my shiny alloy wheels off and put on a set of steel ITP wheels. Rocks like to get inside the rim and hit the brake caliper, forcing the rock through the rim. I have also cracked a rim, you don't crack the steel ones and the back of an axe head will straighten out a bent steel wheel.
    I go to far in the woods to worry about the rim with all my worry about tires...

I have a tool bucket under neath my seat on my Rhino that I keep tire plugs, ratchet strap, air compressor and sealant to repair and seat a tire. I also have most every tool necessary to repair the Rhino, all the common spare parts, enough food for 3 days, first aid kit, survival gear, batteries, etc in the bucket. I also bring a spare battery with me that I keep charged. I do carry a spare tire depending on how long/far of a ride I plan on going on.

I always carry a spare with me. I also carry plugs, slime, compressor, ratchet strap, etc. The reason I carry a spare is because the sidewalls on my specific tires are too stiff to set in the field. The tire would probably set if my balls were big enough to try ether, but with my luck, I would end up in the news or as a Darwin Award.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    I always carry a spare with me. I also carry plugs, slime, compressor, ratchet strap, etc. The reason I carry a spare is because the sidewalls on my specific tires are too stiff to set in the field. The tire would probably set if my balls were big enough to try ether, but with my luck, I would end up in the news or as a Darwin Award.

image.jpg
    Nice stuck! So is your spare the same size as the front or the back? Or are all your tires the same size?

All 4 are 27x11x12 and the spare is the same. Keeps things simple. I just need to get it mounted on the roof somewhere to free up the bed a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    All 4 are 27x11x12 and the spare is the same. Keeps things simple. I just need to get it mounted on the roof somewhere to free up the bed a little more.
    How are you liking your mega mayhems?

One way you can set the tire is with a bike CO2 pump. REI has the one's designed for the high pressure bike tires. Wrap the tire with a strap to push the walls out.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    How are you liking your mega mayhems?
    I love them! They have clawed through a ton of muck and have not let me down. My buddy has a Ranger 800 with Mudlites and he was winching way more than me on our break-up trip into the Caribou Hills. The picture I posted is from that trip and the trail was pure muck 90% of the way. The only down side is that the sidewalls are super stiff and will make resetting a bead almost impossible in the field. On the positive side, the sidewalls are very tough.

DSCN2790.jpg

Did you need spacers to clear the front?

I rode 12 miles out with a hole on the inside of my aluminum rim on a Mud Bug. Those stiff sidewalls were a savior. In fact, it never did come off the bead.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

No spacers. Stock rim.

I knew having stiff sidewalls would be a huge advantage. I am just dreading the time I am forced to reset the bead in the field, but with my spare, the ***** would have to hit the fan pretty good to have to worry about that.