Thread: 12 years with the HB Freighter

Default 12 years with the HB Freighter

Time flies! So 12 years with my HBC and I have had to do a few repairs getting it ready for the season and the new motor. A surface drive copper head ought to open up some new country.. Some gelcoat issues under the keelsons which I fixed with epoxy. Needed to sand out and fiberglass some frozen water damage on the inside of the boat were entrapped water created a few craters. Waxed and buffed. I think I am ready for the motor!

12 years with the HB freighter movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki7WF...ature=youtu.be

Good show, North61. Enjoyable ... informative. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Good show, North61. Enjoyable ... informative. Thanks.
    Thanks Rick.... The water in the keelson is a problem. Never happened when the boat was newer. I had some gel-coat wear through on the outside of the left keelson which I repaired. There was also some micro cracking of fine spiderweb surface cracks on the inside if the boat on the left side. I also repaired them. Still I will start storing the boat upside down and will drill out a hole on the inside end of the keelson to check for and release any water at seasons end.

I have heard that the polyester resins used are a bit permeable to water and the void in the keels set up a condition where osmosis can start to happen especially if you have some scratches in the gel coat and cracking. I hope I have it beat but time will tell!

Only into year 2 with my HB. Stored it upside down with a tarp over it outside last wintah. Great video and tips...This year I was going to get a custom cover for the wintah...so I would not have to take it off the trailer....but your vid...changed my mind. thanks for sharing

Thanks for the video North 61
    Have enjoyed your past efforts also.

can't wait to see it with the new motor and get a report of the function
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I met a member (didn't get his name) at 28 mile the other day with an HB he had had for 12 years that looked pretty good. He had a few nice sheefish they had caught.

Looks like my motor awaits in Anchorage. The Surface Drive/Freighter concept moves in to the Yukon. Yeeha.

sir, it is my prediction that you're going to push into some moose shallows inaccessible by others in your area. bring a boat repair kit......

Looks like Mike put his skid plate on it and you are good to go.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Looks like Mike put his skid plate on it and you are good to go.
    You are correct, sir! Mounting the thing today and I am going to buy two 8 foot 2x6's and rough out some 7 foot paddles. Those push paddles Mike makes are working on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post

Just saw your silly video: "ended up at Michael Manzo's house". That is hilarious! Please don't tell Gill n Betsy that we drink copious amounts of Fat Tire Amber Ale and Alaskan Brewing Co. American Pale Ale......or they might find a more "proper dealer" who does things in a formal manner. Had a great time drinking beer with you, hope to do so again. My drive through BC and Yukon Territory was epic. Much more so....my hiking in those BC mountains to break in the lowa boots. There's not one day that goes by that I don't miss the Western Canada.....see you soon!

Just saw your silly video: "ended up at Michael Manzo's house". That is hilarious! Please don't tell Gill n Betsy that we drink copious amounts of Fat Tire Amber Ale and Alaskan Brewing Co. American Pale Ale......or they might find a more "proper dealer" who does things in a formal manner. Had a great time drinking beer with you, hope to do so again. My drive through BC and Yukon Territory was epic. Much more so....my hiking in those BC mountains to break in the lowa boots. There's not one day that goes by that I don't miss the Western Canada.....see you soon!
    I didn't want to blow your cover and up the expectations of your dealer services too high!! The motor is on the boat..our canoe packs are getting filled and tomorrow we leave to have a vacation, test out the motor and scout for moose. Everything looks great. Of course come buy anytime we have the Yukon Brewery here and it is a pretty good competition for Alaskan Brews.

I spend several hours pouring over CD Rom-maps and I "discovered" what looked like a great, great moose run. Breathless with excitement I did more research and found it was pre-discovered 10,000 years ago by First Nations people and much of it has been claimed. Too skinny for most power boats but paddle canoes have been doing the route a long time. The Yukon is great, wild country but not really new...except to me. Still fun! See you