Thread: Quartz lake Quandry

Unhappy Quartz lake Quandry

Hey Guys,

I was out on quartz the other day and became one of the many people who reported hundreds of dead fish in and around the lake. The paper says that a survey crew went out and counted 121 dead fish. They concluded that the lake wasnt as bad as people think. I disagree but hope that i am wrong. What perplexed me was the sheer lack of fish hitting the surface (zero fish) on a glass clear morning and the highest abundance of amphipods and leeches ive ever seen. Maybe they just want people to go out and pay the fee to fish for the dinks they just tossed in...

Has anyone been out and caught a nice one yet

Tight Lines,

Emmett

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    Maybe they just want people to go out and pay the fee to fish for the dinks they just tossed in...
    Doesn't sound like that's their intent at all:
    While Fish and Game began restocking the lake with catchable-size fish in the 9- to 12-inch range on Tuesday, anglers won’t be pulling any lunkers out of the lake for a couple of years, Taube said.
    “There will be fish in the lake, but it just won’t be a trophy fishery that it was,” he said. “People can expect catch rates to be down this year. Definitely the density of fish is down with this kind of winterkill.”
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...a4bcf6878.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I know both of the guys in the artical mentioned and Dean is'nt one to spread false info.

Dean is one of the first people on the lake and I would take his word on what he saw.

Before the F&G Bios got out there to check on it there were many natural predetors like mink and so on that were there to take advantage of the bounty.

It will come back, it just will take a few years.

Heres a little known fact about Quartz, most of the lake is about 5' deep till you get over by the bluff, at its deepest point it is around 80' but its kinda small area. Pick up a map from F&G and it explains the conturs of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Heres a little known fact about Quartz, most of the lake is about 5' deep till you get over by the bluff, at its deepest point it is around 80' but its kinda small area. Pick up a map from F&G and it explains the conturs of the lake.
    No need to swing by fish and feathers for the map. Much of that info is available online of you let your fingers do the walking.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...il&LakeID=1179

Thanks Lujon, I missed the depth on that one, must have been thinking of Bluff Cabin lake. One of them around here is 80' deep.

Thanks for posting that.

Hey guys,

The quip about just wanting people to pay fees was a pun. Sorry if it was a bit dry. That said, Im not a Noob. I know the lake, its depth and its species' life histories quite well. I even read the paper from time to time.

I was just surprised on the reported number because my buddy and i counted over 100 dead smolt in the north side shallows alone.

Aside from just trolling me or trying to inform me of common knowlege, do you guys possibly have an actual report to give?

Tight Lines,

Emmett

sure I can give an actual report. I took the cedar strip canoe out yesterday early morning and paddled the lake. I've done this for a number of years now, before we'd hike the lake shore.

My assesment was similar. I was kind of suprised to not see a single dimple or rise on the water of anything, no wakes seen nodda! I did see a few 1/2" long minnows hiding in the rocks but nothing of any size/amount. so something DID make it. I also noticed a ton of snail shells this year, more so than years past. maybe I didnt notice them before...being too focused on the fish lol.

I did notice the water did have a lot of algea this year more than years past. Normally the water is crystal clear. I dont know if its the pollen getting mixed in with the sub surface, or actual algea growth but it appeared dirtier than normal. of course this year was anything but normal in any way. I could have been late though with the amount of sun and temps warming quick, the algea bloom if thats what I was seeing could have been exasperated where in years past it came after things were done.

I'd be suprised if it was 100%. but who knows, time will tell. Hopefully a few of the bruisers made it. My guess if they started dying off that early before ice off, I'd be surpised if many/any did.

[QUOTE=TradBow;1291959]sure I can give an actual report. I took the cedar strip canoe out yesterday early morning and paddled the lake. I've done this for a number of years now, before we'd hike the lake shore.

My assesment was similar. I was kind of suprised to not see a single dimple or rise on the water of anything, no wakes seen nodda!

Thanks Trad. +1 to you my friend

Stopped by the Lake and talked with Dean for about an hour. He says no one he knows or who rents boats from him has caught a large fish since april. All the Quartz Lake "pros" have been posting zeros. Reports of some good catches of recently stocked dinks.

He did mention something interesting though. Said when he spoke with ADFG they told him quartz was now to be stocked with triploid trout. dependant upon the strain that might make for some monsters in a few years.

*looks like its been stocked with trips many times before as well