Thread: Beautiful day in Seward yesterday

Default Beautiful day in Seward yesterday

Went on a halibut charter.

Morning ride out was really interesting. There was a 9 or 10 foot swell coming in, which made for a very up and down ride. Long wavelengths, they weren't steep, just lots of motion that took a couple people out fast.

We did not have a very successful trip. It was aggravating. I've used this charter exclusively for the last 6 years, and they've never let us down, so it wasn't lack of knowledge or effort. They put a long day in, stopped in several spots, trying to find a good bite. We just never found it. Sometimes fishing is like that. My wife got the biggest fish of the day, and her only fish, at about 75 pounds. I got blanked. Couldn't even catch a shark. Oh well. Next time.

I know we just had a bad day. Talked to a mate on another boat that we know, and they killed them. He said it was the best halibut bite he's ever seen, and they were in early. We were out from 6-8 and only caught a few fish on the whole boat. Wow.

But, the seas laid down as the day moved on, the sun was out and there were whale and porpoise everywhere. Really can't get much nicer of a day on the water in Alaska!

We'll try again in a month or so.

Nice day for sure, a 75lber for the freezer is good load and the summer just started, plenty of time to get more fish. Really nothing to complain about in my book, perhaps a little disappointing that you did not get into a tug-o-war.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't meaning for that to sound like a complaint. It was a great day on the water, just not very successful from a fishing perspective.

But, 2-on/2-off schedule leaves me plenty of time to try again....

Went on our charter today had 14 fisher people on board All limited In short order. We were just off the west coast of montegue probably a mile off the shore fishing in about 210ft of water. The boat next to us also had 14 on board and limited just before we did. The. We went on to rock fish and only did ok. No yellow eye just black/ spiney. Beautiful day weather wise wouldn't of asked for anything better not a cloud in the sky and mostly flat seas. Tht were about 3-4 ft on the way out Nd flat on the way back. No barn doors caught today all in the 10-30lb range got my first butt out of Seward.

Interesting thing that I like about the skipper on the charter we use is that he doesn't always fish deep. The boat caught the most halibut, and the biggest (my wife's), in 65 feet of water. Makes it a lot easier to check bait! We tried other spots that were 200+ feet, but none produced like the shallower one.

Couple of years ago we were out with the same outfit. We anchored in about 75' of water in a channel between islands during the tide change. Funneled the current and fish through one narrow opening, and it worked. The boat caught several 100 lbers, and about a dozen between 50-90. It was impressive and a lot of fun! Any new-to-halibut fishing folks keep that in mind....it doesn't have to be deep to be good. They regularly catch them pretty shallow in Cook Inlet, too.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Interesting thing that I like about the skipper on the charter we use is that he doesn't always fish deep. The boat caught the most halibut, and the biggest (my wife's), in 65 feet of water. Makes it a lot easier to check bait! We tried other spots that were 200+ feet, but none produced like the shallower one.

Couple of years ago we were out with the same outfit. We anchored in about 75' of water in a channel between islands during the tide change. Funneled the current and fish through one narrow opening, and it worked. The boat caught several 100 lbers, and about a dozen between 50-90. It was impressive and a lot of fun! Any new-to-halibut fishing folks keep that in mind....it doesn't have to be deep to be good. They regularly catch them pretty shallow in Cook Inlet, too.
    Some of the biggest halibut caught in Lower Cook Inlet came out of Kelp Beds in 6 or 7 fathoms (36 - 40 ft) of water.

Was down Fri sat and sun morning. Fished about 3 hours Friday morning deep into a channel and finally got one fish. Decided to move to another channel and actually wade far out into the ocean and had a red on first cast. Casted a bit longer without anything and went back to camp for a break. Fished the incoming again the night and bagged another two and lost a third. On Saturday I fished for about 45 minutes. Tide was just about full and waded out to my spot again. Out of 75 people or more no one was catching. I went a hundred plus feet away from the main crowd and fished my usual spot and landed two in five casts including a nice 10+ pounder, a big male. People quickly started standing all over my spot and where the fish were milling and the action died. Only saw one other fish caught and wasn't wanting to waste time so headed back to camp. Ended up spending sat evening and Sunday morning in camp enjoying a fire and drinks with some friends... another 25 minutes of snagging between us didn't produce anything, but we weren't seriously trying and they were beginners.. expectations were limited. Came home with 5 reds after eating the sixth which was cooked over the campfire, and quite delicious. If I was seriously fishing for limits I probably could have got them, but it wasn't a diehard angling weekend for me. Good luck and don't be afraid to fish away from the crowds...

oops meant to post under the red reports...