Thread: Unit 16 hits?

Default Unit 16 hits?

Just curious if any of you in 16 have been hit yet. I am at the same site as the last 2 previous years and have TONS of bait out and TONS of scent but no hits (besides 1 that walked through over a month ago). Seems this year bears are scarce in 16 as 2 years ago we had TONS of bears (black and brown) but this year the only thing on the trail cam is ravens, squirrels and smaller birds. you can smell my site from 200 yards away I do constant honey, butterscotch and anise burns, I have more scent products on my site than sportsmans warehouse has stocked at both stores (30 gal of molassas, 300lb dog food, 2 gal of honey, you name it I prob have it out there). Was hoping to get my son on his first bear and first kill before we leave AK (just came down on orders to Lewis) but looks like we may get skunked and will have to chase blackies around WA state until we move back to AK when I get out of the military.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I didn't even set any out this spring at my bait in 16a due to the crappy spring, but next year i'm baiting regardless because of the new brown bear baiting regs. I'm not sure why they aren't hitting your site, maybe they are just late this year or have moved on to another source of food in the area. WA state has some nice blackies, one area I hunt in north central WA near my friends property we were on at least 2 very large blackies but couldn't close the deal on them due to time constraints.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Just curious if any of you in 16 have been hit yet. I am at the same site as the last 2 previous years and have TONS of bait out and TONS of scent but no hits (besides 1 that walked through over a month ago). Seems this year bears are scarce in 16 as 2 years ago we had TONS of bears (black and brown) but this year the only thing on the trail cam is ravens, squirrels and smaller birds. you can smell my site from 200 yards away I do constant honey, butterscotch and anise burns, I have more scent products on my site than sportsmans warehouse has stocked at both stores (30 gal of molassas, 300lb dog food, 2 gal of honey, you name it I prob have it out there). Was hoping to get my son on his first bear and first kill before we leave AK (just came down on orders to Lewis) but looks like we may get skunked and will have to chase blackies around WA state until we move back to AK when I get out of the military.
    Hope the bears show up soon...and they're hungry. It would suck to have to tote all that bait back out!!

On my way back from the site finally got hit(s) they hit 3hrs after i left on wed night ill post trail cam shots when i get home had a brown and a midsize cinnamon hit around 11pm

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Seems to be an odd spring for us to. Usually have action but nothing as of yet. Hope they find it soon, starting to lose faith!