Thread: Replacing lower unit seal......

Default Replacing lower unit seal......

I have a 95' 40 hp Johnson Alaskan. Awhile back I noticed that the lower unit is leaking oil from around the prop. When I looked closer I found fishing line wrapped around. I need to replace the seal but have never done so. I'd like to do it myself as I would think this to be a pretty easy fix? Would be great if somebody can point me in the right direction to start.

Thanks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Should be easier than a sterndrive, where you need to replace a bunch of other seals at the same time, and requiring special tools do do so, and while you have it apart, you need to replace shift cables and other critical parts that are likely worn, and while you are at it, better do other preventative maintenance too since the lower unit is all apart anyway.

Having been down this road with a sterndrive, I am telling this just to suggest that when lower unit seals are bad, you need to suspect and investigate a bunch of other stuff too on your particular engine and make sure you get it all done right at the same time, or you may have it apart again soon, and find yourself replacing stuff you have already done. Sometime, dealers and parts places even have online guides to doing this work, I certainly found them helpful working on a mercruiser, and suggest you spend some time exploring online, both from repair/parts places and from individuals that post their experiences.

Nice to see someone keeping a '95 anything going instead of tossing it for a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Nice to see someone keeping a '95 anything going instead of tossing it for a new one!
    Thanks.......Yes I looked online and saw a few videos but didn't look into them that closely yet. I'm sure if I spent the time I will find something. Just thought somebody here may have done it before and could run me through it pretty quick. I think a parts schematic should help me to see what seal it actually is (that the fishing line ate up) and then go from there.

Not that I wouldn't like to be able to run down and grab a new 4 stroke, but with all the home projects I have going this summer, the pocket book says otherwise. In fact.....I'll be lucky to even take the boat out if I can find the time.......lol

Thanks again....

Well I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlcXBxy_VY Looks like it's not very difficult and he doesn't have to remove the main housing by doing it this way. He does it on a 225 hp Yamaha. I'm wondering if it would still be the same type thing with my engine?

Looks like a piece of cake to replace, here is a schematic and parts list ; http://www.marineengine.com/parts/jo...ction=Gearcase .

First remove parts # 75 cotter pin, 74 prop nut, 73 washer, then remove 90 converging ring, 88 prop, 89 prop bushing and 72 thrust washer.

Next, remove the two bolts #58 and then #63 the bearing housing/anode, which will retain the two seals #28 and bearing #27 you need to replace.

Reinstall in reverse order, fill gear case with fresh oil and your set.

Note: when removing parts #63, 28 and 27, maintain forward (toward bow) pressure on the propshaft to keep it and the other parts in place within the housing. Also, pay attention to the direction each seal faces when removing them so that when the new seals are installed they are oriented to keep oil in and water out, installing backwards will do the opposite...not a good thing.

Thanks much..... Looks like I'll have to give it a try iff'n I ever want to go fishing this summer......

I guess now my question is..... With A1 closing it's doors, does anybody do Johnson/Evenrude parts now in the Soldotna/Kenai area? Does it mean I'll have to go to Anchortown or maybe Homer for parts? Maybe online might be the best bet...???

Brian still has a shop somewhere on K-Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Brian still has a shop somewhere on K-Beach.
    I take it Brian was one of the guys from A1 as I didn't actually know anybody there personally? Are you thinking somewhere around Poppy or the Red Diamond center? I'll have to peel my eyes when I drive through there.......

Thanks......