Thread: iPhone for GPS - boating related

Default iPhone for GPS - boating related

Rafting trip on the Yukon river and will be taking Garmin GPS. Brother wants to use his iPhone GPS and has asked if iPhones or iPads are able to get GPS signals on the Yukon - or other issues with using the iPhone GPS. Also, would appreciate any suggestions for a Garmin GPS model just for navigation on the Yukon (not fishing) including best software. Alaska topo? Blue water? Many thanks.

I don't have any experience with phone or tablet use on the Yukon but I have dabbled with using my Android phone as a GPS unit. It's doable, but the thought that immediately comes to mind is how will the IOS device be recharged? You can bring extra batteries for a Garmin handheld, although one set might do you for the whole trip. With a smart phone or tablet you have to recharge the battery somehow, and they suck down the power pretty well. You could pick up a solar charger and that may be the solution but for simple navigation I'd opt to leave the computer at home and use a purpose-built tool that is weather-proof to boot.

I've used Trimble systems and Garmin units in the Brooks Range and had no problem getting satellites, provided there is enough sky visible. On the Yukon it shouldn't be an issue.

Here is a related thread for you..... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...App?highlight=
    cheers. Cod
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    Rafting trip on the Yukon river and will be taking Garmin GPS. Brother wants to use his iPhone GPS and has asked if iPhones or iPads are able to get GPS signals on the Yukon - or other issues with using the iPhone GPS. Also, would appreciate any suggestions for a Garmin GPS model just for navigation on the Yukon (not fishing) including best software. Alaska topo? Blue water? Many thanks.
    I wouldn't use a phone for a GPS, at least not if I was going to depending on it for navigation (rather than curiosity, gizmo-appeal, etc.). Part of it is power issues, part of it is function, and part of it is that while some GPS applications allow you to preload your maps, some don't and expect to be able to pull them in over the provider network. A basic GPS isn't that much money and is far more reliable. On the other hand if he's counting on your GPS to do the work and just wants to mess around with his phone, yes it can get a GPS signal and no, on the Yukon you won't be able to get data or voice service (except in some of the villages).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time