Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New member, Newish Canoe

Default New member, Newish Canoe

Hello AK outdoors community, I recently got a great deal from my cousin on this Pelican Bayou 160 canoe. I'm excited to put some time in on the water. I did a light scrub yesterday to get all the tree sap off but still have a little bit to go. I'm going to buy some nice wooden oars and search craigslist for a small outboard. After I scrubbed it out, my brother and I just placed it on top of the car to let it dry.

You can have years of fun with that canoe. Get a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 hp motor and a lot of world will open for you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

THAT CANOE WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF YEARS OF FISHING JUST ABOUT ANY LAKE WILL GIVE YOU SOME GOOD FISH WITH A LOT OF FUN ,
    SEE YOU ON THE STREAM / laKe SID

Had an awesome day today, I went to the D&D Auction in Wasilla and picked up a Brand new still in the box 1972 50th anniversary 4hp Johnson Sea-Horse w/ 3 gal external fuel tank for $400. There were some great deals today, my cousin bought a barely broken in Ruger 10/22 rifle for $240. Does anyone have experience with this outboard they would like to share?

Your canoe will fly with that on it.Make sure you lube the old gal up good and watch to see that the water pump is putting out a good stream. You will probably need about a hundred pounds up front if you go out by yourself.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As a minimum I would change (or have it changed) the water pump impeller. If it has never been changed and been in there for 40 years it most likely has taken a set and will not pump as it should. Would be a shame to toast an engine as nice as that one.

So the other day I was out looking for my brothers cat, and in my neighbors yard I spot the crank of a boat trailer that was sticking above the overgrowth. I checked it out and it looked to be the perfect size for my canoe. So after a couple no answers I saw him talking to our neighbor and ran out to talk to him. I asked him about the trailer and he wanted to scrap it. I told him I was interested and he just gave it to me, title and all! I thanked him and we shook hands. I was super excited and after no time at all, I uncovered the 4 wheeler hooked up the trailer pulled it out bushes and all. I cleaned it up with the pressure washer to get all the dirt and tree sap off. Trailer looked to be good shape, and after fresh pain will look like new. There is a little bow in the main beam. Not enough to compromise the trailer with the canoe and motor. The hook up is striped and is to small a ball to use, so a new/bigger hook up will be installed. I'll also replace the electrical with all new wiring and LED tail lights. After test fitting the canoe, I see there needs to be support for the boat as the rollers put to much pressure on the keel, bowing the bottom of the canoe. I may need to extend the frame 2 or 3 feet and relocate the axle a little. So I guess I'm looking for a fabricator this week.

Probably make up a couple by just sliding the winch forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Probably make up a couple by just sliding the winch forward.
    Yes to what Will said. If the rollers aren't right take them off.

You'll notice the angle and size of the lower unit.....that's a weedless drive system.....sought after by duck hunters.

I've used a 65 Evinrude Ducktwin since new and their ability to go through weed beds is amazing.....

Looks like a good catch.....as mentioned, change out that water pump impellor.....cheap and easy job.....parts are available on-line. The maneto may need charging after all these years......get an extra set of plugs.\\\

What's the canoe dimensions?

wheels make sure you redo the wheels an berrings the inner an the outer it will save you a lot of time later on if you do it at home now an it sounds like a supper deal to me SID

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    You'll notice the angle and size of the lower unit.....that's a weedless drive system.....sought after by duck hunters. What's the canoe dimensions?
    That was an added bonus after I did a little research. The dimensions are
    Bayou 160 Sport Recreational Canoe:
    • 3 molded bench seats
    • Built-in motor mount on transom
    • Drink and vertical rod holders
    • Sturdy aluminum gunnels with protective sleeve
    • Flat bottom and tri-keeled hull
    • RAM-X hull material
    • Maximum carrying capacity: 950 lb.
    • Weight of canoe: 117 lb.
    • Dimensions: Length is 16'3"; Beam is 43" I'm scouting out the parts you mentioned just haven't found the magneto yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    wheels make sure you redo the wheels an berrings the inner an the outer it will save you a lot of time later on if you do it at home now an it sounds like a supper deal to me SID
    I'm pricing everything out now, doing a little tear down and adjusting, before I really start adding new hardware.

So I got a quote for sand blast and paint from Bobs Services. Do you guys think this is fair or do you know a better vendor?
    $260. blast
    $365. paint
    $625. blast and paint

it is not so much that he charges it is what a new one will give you, when you paint a old trailer you still get rust , You might not like what you have an don;t want it so try it out some an think about it some, some of the large BOX stores have trailers Fredies,& LOWS sells flat bed trailers that would work very well for you look around some befor you fock that kind money on an old trailer with old tires an that much rust on it ,
    the MAN will do a good job for you but he can't all the rust [will get most ] it is all up to you , use it a year an then make up your mine about the sand blast an paint , my 2 CTS SID PS you will always get some one to undr cut his price but will they be around after & will they do as good of a job ??????????????????

Paint it with Ospho and call it good or just use what ever paint you have.
    http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

After doing some leg work and research, I've decided to with what Amigo Will recommended. Wire brush, ospho, paint, and elbow grease. What color do you guys think? I can go original red/tan fenders or ptm the canoe, green/tan fenders?

Green tan and a little black in camo. If you make it to nice someone will want to steal it

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Green tan and a little black in camo. If you make it to nice someone will want to steal it
    Definitely agree with Will on that. Some flat rattle-can paint will give some urban camouflage. Reminds me of this ad: http://www.break.com/video/ugc/chamelion-xle-383947

tore down

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast