Thread: Hunting Eagle River last weekend...

Default Hunting Eagle River last weekend...

Finally got the daughter out hunting for the first time this last weekend. Walked back up Eagle River Valley looking for Black Bear. I know that the place is crawling with them. Of course, she is scared to death, and outta shape. ( I yelled at her for watching too much TV). We get back to Icicle Creek and set up camp, then proceed about 1/4 mile off the trail. We decide to sit back to back in a creek drainage. I told her to watch one direction, and I would watch the other. After about 2 hours, we decide to head to another spot where there was a TON of fresh tracks. As we are in the process of standing up, I look up and a BIG, Beautiful Blackie saw me at the same time I saw him. He was about 10 yards into the drainage. He wasted no time in taking off into the cover of the brush. Just goes to show you, you never know when one will show up. If we would've waited 5 more seconds before standing, we would've gotten her first Black Bear ! Needless to say, we skunked out on that trip. Maybe I'll get her out again this weekend?
    As a side: there were tons of FRESH tracks down by the river in the silt. Several blackie tracks and plenty of Griz tracks. One set was a sow with a cub. Yet another track had the front pad width of 9 inches ! ! ! There is an awfully big brownie back there! Careful! This, I would presume was the track of that 1,000 pound + bear that F&G reported being back in there last year.
    Good Hunting
    Johnny

Thumbs up

Hope you two had a good time anyway, that is awesome she went. How old is she?
    Good luck the next time you too try it!

Mind if I ask how the trail is looking? Solid yet?

Default Trail

The trail is 95% solid. There is some pretty soft spots in the first mile and a half. After that, its all solid, no more snow, no mud.
    The daughter is 16. I'm sure she'll go again. I'm not gonna let her rot in front of the TV anymore. Pretty sad that I've got 100 pounds on her, am 2 1/2 times her age, and I can still outrun, outhike, and outlast her. **** entitlement generation! (Although, that is a topic for the General Discussion).
    Johnny

Keep at it, Johnny. As a teacher I do everything I can to encourage my students to get outside, but there is no force more powerful than that of a father. I have students who would love to go out hunting and fishing with their dads, but either they're not invited or they simply don't have a father. Keep up the effort and you'll have an awesome hunting partner on your hands!

Thanks for the trail condition updates.