Thread: Bait Holder Heads

Default Bait Holder Heads

A friend gave me a couple Pro-Troll EChip bait holder heads to try this summer on our SE trip. Said they could be trolled faster than cut plugs if you're looking for a little more speed, or want to fish hootchies/spoons at the same time as bait to see what they are hitting. Any experience with how well these work targeting Kings? They look easy to use; just rig up a leader and clamp the herring in the head. Can they be trolled at hootchie speed and have the bait hold up?

All you say it true, but I haven't had much luck with them. Might have a lot to do with my preferred trolling speeds- between 1.7 and 2.2 mph. In that realm I prefer cut plugs. Not a criticism by any means, because I know lots of folks who successfully troll for kings a lot faster. One bud tries never to drop below 3.5 and will run as high as 5.0. Catches a lot of fish on hoochies, spoons and plugs, so it would be perfect for him I'm sure.

Yes, they can be trolled at hoochie speed and the bait will hold up well. They are pretty easy to use, but always dip your rod tip in the water to see how the herring is behaving before sending one down. Sometimes the herring tail will "flail" which almost always results in no bites. You want a tight spin with the head and tail of the herring more or less in line.

Big_E

No luck with them on Kings, but they work well for Silvers (mind you almost everything does when they're in!) Vaaler has it exactly right. It's easy to get a flailing roll with them. Reposition the herring until the spin is tight.

Check out the Shelton bullet rotator. they are outstanding! http://www.sheltonproducts.com/ You always get a nice tight roll to them!

Quote Originally Posted by jwl View Post
    A friend gave me a couple Pro-Troll EChip bait holder heads to try this summer on our SE trip. Said they could be trolled faster than cut plugs if you're looking for a little more speed, or want to fish hootchies/spoons at the same time as bait to see what they are hitting. Any experience with how well these work targeting Kings? They look easy to use; just rig up a leader and clamp the herring in the head. Can they be trolled at hootchie speed and have the bait hold up?
    Funny you mention these. Had a client last week bring a few up, claimed they'd been laying around for 10 or so years. We were slaying the kings, and I kept threading herring on a 5ft leader like I like to do in that spot we were fishing. (slow trolling threaded herring on a 40ft flat) We needed 2 more kings the last day, and I finally put one of those e-chip rotator heads down just to show those guys how much better my threaded herring worked. Bam.. 23lb king. Put it down again. 22lb king. Ate a little bit of crow on that one! So yeah, they work.