Thread: Fatal mauling at George Lake

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Condolences to the Weaver family. I hope the bear that was killed is the bear responsible for the attack.

Hopefully they got the right bear so the area is safe. Condolences to Mrs Weaver.

Only the second attack this Summer so we are behind. But nasty fatality. Pretty tragic.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Bob was a great man i knew him personally, he will be greatly missed by all who knew him. If anyone ever wondered who it was parasailing around 3 mile CHSR for the last several years and wonders why they don't see him anymore its because, we'll he doesn't need a chute and prop to fly anymore.

Sounds like his gun jammed up on him. Sad deal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Hopefully they got the right bear so the area is safe. Condolences to Mrs Weaver.
    It was the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    It was the bear.
    Yes, heard that on the radio news this morning. They found his DNA in the stomach of the beast. Glad they killed that critter or he may have tried to do it again....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, heard that on the radio news this morning. They found his DNA in the stomach of the beast. Glad they killed that critter or he may have tried to do it again....
    Yes, that was a bold bear. Funny how blackies can be that way.

EO's shot it as it stalked them, so I heard.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yes, I heard that too. It always amazes me how bold a black bear will be. On another thread a guy said "they aren't the boogy man", and I replied that they sure as hell can be. They are totally unpredictable. Depending on their mood, hunger, or sickness, a bear....black or brown, will in fact stalk you. In my book, that makes them the "boogy man".....

......On another thread a guy said "they aren't the boogy man", and I replied that they sure as hell can be. They are totally unpredictable. Depending on their mood, hunger, or sickness, a bear....black or brown, will in fact stalk you. In my book, that makes them the "boogy man".....
    Booger man:

Attachment 71494

Not known to prey on humans.

Confirmed predator that has a history of hunting, killing, and eating humans:

Attachment 71495

Couldn't read/see your attachments.
    This Lake George incident is reminiscent of an incident at Lake Louise in '92, where a husband and wife were attacked and fled to the roof of their cabin. The husband somehow got down and went for help, but the blackie ate the wife. Another incident happened in '97 at Liard Hot Springs in BC. when a bear killed a woman and her would-be rescuer and injured two others. It seems many times these bears are old and hungry.
    Anyway, they're not lovable fuzz balls, and seem to be more intent on stalking and killing humans than do browny/grizzlies, who are largely opportunistic. ADFG guys used to teach bear safety to my OdEd classes, and they always advise protecting your neck and vitals with a brownie, but fighting for your life with a blackie.

This Lake George incident is reminiscent of an incident at Lake Louise in '92, where a husband and wife were attacked and fled to the roof of their cabin. The husband somehow got down and went for help, but the blackie ate the wife. Another incident happened in '97 at Liard Hot Springs in BC. when a bear killed a woman and her would-be rescuer and injured two others. It seems many times these bears are old and hungry.
    Anyway, they're not lovable fuzz balls, and seem to be more intent on stalking and killing humans than do browny/grizzlies, who are largely opportunistic. ADFG guys used to teach bear safety to my OdEd classes, and they always advise protecting your neck and vitals with a brownie, but fighting for your life with a blackie.
    'Cause a black bear will begin eating on the victim immediately, while a brown or grizzly tends to hide it, protect it, and return to eat on it later.

......................... Another incident happened in '97 at Liard Hot Springs in BC. when a bear killed a woman and her would-be rescuer and injured two others. ...................
    I was there when that happened. Bear came down the board walk.............
    Also in about 2001, while in I was in NWT, a black bear killed a guy in his tent while his buddies went to town for supplies.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

This Lake George incident is reminiscent of an incident at Lake Louise in '92, where a husband and wife were attacked and fled to the roof of their cabin. The husband somehow got down and went for help, but the blackie ate the wife.
    I always thought there was something a bit fishy about this story. How many guys would leave their wife with a bear trying to get them? I know I wouldn't and I know for sure my wife wouldn't let me even if I tried.......