Thread: Ling cod depth

Default Ling cod depth

This summer we will be heading out for a trip out of Homer looking for lings and butts down by the islands. What depth do you catch the most lings at? I see some pinnacles that top of at 40ft and some much deeper and am wondering how shallow is too shallow.

I think they like structure and food, and aren't particularly picky about depth. I've caught them in PWS on structure of varying depth, and notably in SE on flat almost featureless cobble/sand bottom while targeting halibut.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have picked them up in 30' to 250'. Seems they like structure but stated above, also hooked in halibut territory with very little terrain on the floor.
    The bigger the bait the better though and they can't stand it when you try to take it away from them.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I have picked them up in 30' to 250'. Seems they like structure but stated above, also hooked in halibut territory with very little terrain on the floor.
    The bigger the bait the better though and they can't stand it when you try to take it away from them.
    BK
    From the lings i've seen diving, if there is food in 20' of water with little to NO structure they will be in 20' of water. I was amazed at how little structure it took for them to hide. Old concrete culverts in Puget Sound appear to be the BEST lingcod halibut.

As mentioned...they can be anywhere and from top to bottom. If you see a bait ball on the sounder fish it. They are almost always there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Find the top of the pinnacle, start fishing and drift deeper. I've caught them from 100' to 350'.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Ive always done best between 25' and 150' around pinnacles.