Thread: Kenai boatable with prop?

Default Kenai boatable with prop?

Was wondering if anyone had firsthand knowledge of boating upstream from Bings landing with a propped boat this season?

Seems to me the river is still too low, but rising.

I would really appreciate a post with info on this between now and Memorial weekend if anyone has anything....

dying to hit the river...

Thanx!

-sc

Nothing first hand. I have been up there pretty early in the past. A good general rule is it is passable/doable once the water hits the bottom of the ramp. WARNING: At this level you still better know where you are going because you will do some serious damage if you screw up!!!

It is boatable between bings and skilak, just watch out for sand bars!
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default The ole rosebud

Thanks guys, yeah there is that one spot just up from Bings before you hit 1st hole....I always sweat through there.

My first year running the river I rosebudded a prop on that garvel bar....heh heh. Oh well its how you learn I suppose.

I watch the Hydrologic site on the web, and it seems as if the "Below the Killey" gauge has to be above 7 feet before I feel comfortable.

Apparently others run it earlier than that though.

So how close is it to the bottom of the ramp at Bings?
    Anyone know?

I don't know, I will check it out this weekend. If you do make it up there remember the motor closure at the Swan sign at superhole and the trout are obviously closed but Dollies are open. If you do catch a rainbow by Emergency Order of F&G you may not remove that fish from the water.

Default Could you post that site?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    I watch the Hydrologic site on the web, and it seems as if the "Below the Killey" gauge has to be above 7 feet before I feel comfortable.
    Just wondering if you wouldn't mind posting the site for that?

Tim

Default Friday

Floated down on the 11th, seen some powerboats all but one running jets, and I believe the one prop job was a keys resident. I dont think either gravel bars before 1st hole had enough h20.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the sight.

Tim