Thread: Upper Eagle River

Default Upper Eagle River

I will be floating the upper eagle river tonight with my wife and two young kids. Has anyone floated that part yet this year? I know there were some bad wood sections around campground rapids, but we will be taking out at the upper bridge before any of that. Generally the section we are planning on floating is class 1, but just wanted to see if anyone has been on it yet this year and any reports of sweepers or other hazards.

Thanks,

Mark

I may be floating that section Saturday. Please post up the current conditions! Did you get hit by the monsoon?

I just got back to the house from the trip. From Eagle River, including shuttling, it took us 7 hrs to do the trip. It was a little longer than we thought it would take, but it was enjoyable. There was a little bit of every thing on this trip. We put in next to the pull out a mile above the northfork parking area. Due to the construction, parking was a little tricky and we had to endur the stink eye from the pilot car driver when we pulled out of line in the construction area to park. I'm not sure about the rules for parking there now, but the other area down stream doesn't have much flow in the side channel and it would be a drag to get a raft down that to the main channel.

About 600 yard down from the put in there is a large log jam that covers 90% of the river but we were able to get by it in our 14' Kenai Drifter on the left side. After that there are a few low sweepers and other hazards, but nothing a competent rower should be concerned about. About a half hour into the float we saw lighting and then heard a bunch of thunder. Shortly thereafter, the skies opened and it rained pretty hard on us. Good thring we brought rain gear for the kids.... opps, forgot that at home with the 70 degree weather. They got mom and dad's rain gear and we toughted it out. We stopped for dinner on a sand bar and the weather quickly got better untill it was agian sunny and clear in an hour.

We took out at Briggs Bridge. The gate closes at 10:00 PM and you have to carry your boat and gear about 200 yards back to the parking area. I don't know why that area doesn't have a boat ramp? I spoke with the camp manager of the eagle river campground and he said the log jam on campground rapids is still to intact for rafts to make it through, but that kayaks are doing it.

As far as wildlife, we saw a bull moose, several halequen ducks, a beaver, and lots of swallows. Enjoy your trip and be aware of the construcion near the put in.

What has two thumbs and rolled his raft in Class I water??? This guy! We also put in above North Fork last night, and although I made it through the log jam you mentioned, i got turned wrong on one sweeper section, and over we went. Luckily, it's shallow, and my buddy was there in his cataraft to support. All told, we all made it out unscathed-- our only loss being a pair of reading glasses for my youngest boy. I thought for sure we would turn over an empty boat, oars and all, but everything was there. Anyways, with all that done with, we had a great rest of the trip, and have a great story to tell now!

Also, another reason why everyone in my boat wears a PFD. Even in Class I!!!

I'm glad you made it out safe. If I had a chainsaw with me I would have cut that one out. I'm pretty sure I know which sweeper got you.

Did you guys see the two beat up canoes that looked like they just were spit out of a log jam from last year?

No, didn't see any canoes. I also thought about bringing a chainsaw. Now I'm glad I didn't. Would probably be on the riverbed... We had a blast. The river definitely needs a cleanup effort. Wonder if that's something that could be organized here???

Wow! Glad you made it out unscathed, Colby.

I'd be in for a cleanup effort at some point this summer if folks want to organize one - or heck, if it's just on a moments notice if I'm in town. Have chainsaw, will travel.

Sounds good Brian! See if we can throw something together between Red Runs!!!

We took the slow slough 2 weeks ago. There is a log jam that you have to portage. There is enough room to get a raft by fairly easy. We had 3 rafts so it was a little work. The slough probably took 45 minutes.

We also floated down to the campground rapids. What a blast in my new Sotar Strike! That boat is amazing but I wouldn't have done the rapid in a bigger boat since I was able to slip through some rocks on the left to avoid the risk of the huge log jam.