Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper River Kings and Reds.

Default Copper River Kings and Reds.

I just got an e-mail from my daughter at the Miles Lake Tagging station. She is pulling and tagging Lots of kings. Yesterday theta tagged over 100 kings and as of noon they were above 50 Kings. They only tag and measure the Kings and release the Reds. They have had a hard time dealing with the shear volume of Reds in the live wells. She tells me that the numbers are huge so you guys on the Klutina should start seeing Reds soon. She also tells me that the size of the Kings are larger than normal and this reinforces the assumption that this is a heavy 5 year return with fewer Jacks than normal. I am just guessing but the Kings should be Gulkana bound and we should start seeing them in 10 days and in large numbers. There are very few fish wheels in the Copper as many were damages by last weeks ice and high water so I am hopeful this means few Kings get intercepted and we will see them.

The Miles Lake counter is running hard and from June 1-5 about 75,000 fish made it through the counter. The sonar does not id Kings from Reds and the counter was not 100% running until May 25th so the over all numbers are down from the expected. That reflects a lack of counts in late May and I expect many hammered through un-counted but that is nothing but my SWAG!

I will keep you abreast as Kelsie send me info!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow he he he...good stuff

I s there any intel on how many "dumb" Kings got thru. I will need a lot of them to show up on the Gulkana near the big landslide south of Sourdough on the nite of the 18th. We need big, dumb fish who strike anything, and who will stay on even if we leave slack in the line. We need Kings who are not finicky about silly stuff like presentation. Tell them it's for the motherland.
    Thanks,
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I can take cafe of that for you. As my daughter tags the next 100 kings I will have her insert the "Dumb" Fish gene that UAF School of Fisheries has been working of for the past few years. The only real problem is it was designed for the out of state fisherman...Wait! Your from Anchorage and we all know that Anchorage is only a few miles from Alaska thus making you a sure fit for the "Dumb Fish Gene"!

Ha....

Walt
    907-259-4290

That's very hurtful Walt. Los Anchorageites are people too. In fact I can see both Russia and Seattle from my partial ocean view back door on the Bluff.

Too funny!

Fish ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Los Anchorageites are people too.
    Hey can you site sources to support your assertion?

Sources! What sources! We don't need no stinking sources!

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Sources! What sources! We don't need no stinking sources!
    Oh no, a liberal at that!!! Ha ha ha... Sorry couldn't help myself

Walt,

man thats hard to believe its doing well when the counter is showing 133k when it should on average be around 500k fish. Its nice to hear fish moving in. but the shear volume sounds seriously lacking or someones counts are astray. I'm no mathmetician but roughly 3-400k fish shy of atleast last number of years avg is cause for concern, not promotion!!!!! That said I cant really say last year was good numbers wise or the few years prior. Over all I cant complain personally I've done quite well, but that hasnt been the norm overall and the numbers have significantly dropped (gulkana) over the last few decades I've sticked on this river system.

Default This post is spot on

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Walt,

man thats hard to believe its doing well when the counter is showing 133k when it should on average be around 500k fish. Its nice to hear fish moving in. but the shear volume sounds seriously lacking or someones counts are astray. I'm no mathmetician but roughly 3-400k fish shy of atleast last number of years avg is cause for concern, not promotion!!!!! That said I cant really say last year was good numbers wise or the few years prior. Over all I cant complain personally I've done quite well, but that hasnt been the norm overall and the numbers have significantly dropped (gulkana) over the last few decades I've sticked on this river system.
    The Gulkana has been poor the last few years and most knowledgeable people don't expect a great return this year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cory100 View Post
    The Gulkana has been poor the last few years and most knowledgeable people don't expect a great return this year as well.
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why a species, with a 5 year life cycle, in which there have been 5 full seasons of LOW numbers meaning LOW numbers of smolt fallling out to the ocean to go get big and come back, would have anything besides a LOW return 5 years later.....someone tell me it doesn't work like that all the time.

I will tell you that it don't work like that, I hope you feel better, but it will not help , the F&G should do the correct thing an shut it down now not after the the big boys get finished at the mouth of the river , F&G sets there an pray it will get better, well lets hope but I dont think so.
    SID

Sid we both know that will likely never happen! I really wish Marks artical would have mentioned this along with the in river users.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Walt,

I hear what you are saying but you need to look at the data in a broader light. Let me point a few numbers out on the missing 300,000 fish.

Link: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...displayResults

In 2012 the fish counter at Miles Lake in May looked like this:
    May 18 2,800 fish
    May 20 5,000
    May 28 68,000

May 2013 counts

May 18-0
    May 20-0
    May 28-0

June 1 21,400 fish
    June 4 17,000
    June 5 17,000
    June 6 20,000
    June 8 8,600

JUne 2013 counts

June 1-20,000
    June 4-13,000
    June 5-12,600
    June 8-24,000

Cumulative
    June 8, 2012- 500,000
    June 8, 2013 -181,000

When we look at the Cumulative numbers we see a 320,000 fewer fish being counted this year but what you are missing is the 2013 count began on May 31 due to the river conditions. Both counters got up and running almost 16 days later in 2013 than 2012. The Cumulative count for May of 2012 was 415,000 fish and Cum for 2013 was 8,000 fish and all of this was due to the counter not being up and running until May 31st. There is 2 + weeks of missing data because of river conditions in 2013.

Now does this mean that there were NO fish going past the counting station from Mat 16-May 30 2013? Well, I think not. My feeling is that a lot of fish went uncounted. Lets just comport June 6th and 8th for 2012 and 2013.. Total 2012 count for those 2 days was 28,600 fish compared with the same 2 days in 2013 and we see 41,000 fish counted.

My entire point is we are seeing very comparable numbers this year to last year day to day once the counter was up and running. Yes, there are 300k missing fish and I contend that is represented by the fact that almost no fish were counted until May 31 this year.

Walt
    907-259-4290

Lets go catch some fish! My prediction is we will see Kings in the Gulkana by June 15th

We know for a fact that the 300k caught in Cordova two weeks ago did not make it to Miles Lake to be counted.. unless the counter was moved to the fish market in Seattle.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

41,000 fish went thru yesterday and 24,000 the day before! I would say that's a optimistic sign!

Thumbs up

Fresh Copper River reds, headed and gutted, are selling at the Soldotna Fred Meyers today for $6.99/pound.

Not bad . .

Talking

My daughter tells me as of to day they are averaging 8o kings tagged, measured and weighed and that is over the past 7 days. The largest King has been 38 pounds and average has been in the high 28 pound range. This gives support to the 5 year average run this year. Most of the Gulkana Kings we have been seeing over the years are 26-28 pounds and only a few in the 30's. They are still catching LOT's of Reds as well but they are not the target species so they keep no data on them.

I am predicting June 14th as the first Gulkana King landed. Sound good do't ya think?

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are those super dark, colored up fish worth eating?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast