Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau Kings

Default Juneau Kings

What's the story on accessible kings here in Juneau? I'm land bound due to lack of a boat. When do they start showing up at Fish Creek and DIPAC? I've been around Juneau for about 5 years but this will be my first summer. What's the run timing like?

Might I suggest buying a kayak? Then you wouldn't be restricted to land. Sorry if I didn't answer your question, but kayaks are excellent.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

We used to catch a few on the north end of Douglas Island about this time of year.

5 years? You must know some boaters, get friendly, fast. Juneau begs to be on a boat. The harbor on Douglas was always a friendly place. Find some guy launching his boat alone and offer to help.....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

False Outer Point. If you want to deal with the crowds over there. I have been out there a couple times this year just to add something else to my trolling efforts. The regulars out there are pretty cool. I have had no luck yet (about 30 hours trolling and 4-5 hours off the beach). It does get maddening after a while.
    I am not a fan of the Fish Creek lake or DIPAC fishery. The treatment of fish in those areas is sometimes appaling and I am definitly not a snagger.
    You could also try fishing from the rocks off the road on the Breadline. It seems to be going off up there right now and most of the fish I have heard being caught up there are caught close to shore. Tee Harbor could have some good beach fishing. I have seen some guys on the point at the north side of Tee Harbor (southern point of the breadline) but dont know if they are pulling anything out.
    The Kayak would be a good option. Anyone in the Juneau area is familiar with the blue canoe guy at False Outer. He rows his canoe and I have heard he catchs more fish than anyone out there.
    There are lots of beach options here and around Juneau, but it WILL take ALOT of rods hours and some patience.
    Good Luck.

Yeah, I know a few people with boats. I was more wondering about onshore opportunities for evenings and quick trips. Also I like spinning and flyfishing for fish over trolling so if I can do that from shore I want to.

Look for deep water. Places where you have 20' in front of your next step you are good. There are a few good spots like this.... highly guarded. You just have to get out of the car and do some scouting.

Most of the places I fish off shore I will have little to no company. I hope you have the same experince.

thanks guys, I'm gonna keep lookin I guess. other options aside, when can a guy expect DIPAC and Fish Creek to start seeing fish?

Heard a guy caught a 30+ pounder flyfishing in a float tube in Tee Harbor recently (last few days). I guess the options just keep opening up.
    Relined my 10 weight tonite and went and bought a float tube to drag behind my boat just in case the downriggers do not go off.

Picked up my first of the year off of the road system today. It was 30 lbs. plus, and is already in the brine. The smoker will be busy tomorrow, and I'm happy. 5 or 6 more will complete my spring.

I agree, in part, with epw. The DIPAC fishery is a whole lot of carnage. But, when it comes to bright silvers, I'll go snagging. Invest an hour, fill the smoker for days. It's just a harvest.

I don't waste my time on DIPAC kings. They are definitely subpar. Black and mealy. The coho don't seem to suffer the same degredation.

Congrats on the catch. I am still looking for my first one while looking for the steelhead at the same time. I am torn daily as to what to fish for. I guess there are worse things in life.

The worst thing in life is when the kings are in, the grouse are hooting, you have a nice day going on outside, you've finally flipped a coin, made a choice, and.... the car won't start.

Congrats on the fish!!!

Add one to the cooler.

Caught another one tonight on the tide. I'll be looking for another tomorrow I hope.

Default Soggy

How about some details there Soggy? I saw a few caught, it seemed like they were deep over the weekend with the nice weather. My buddy with us picked up two on sunday, but I didn't score myself. That was on the south end (taku).

Default South end is lighting up...

green/chartreuse spinner trolled at 15 feet picked up a shaker and a 30# King yesterday. Silver hoochie baited with hooligan on an orange/gold flasher picked up a 20# king... all within 60 or 70 minutes. The bite is at and around low tide.
    The Duby brothers are picking up quite a few, but they drive those Bayliners in some SERIOUSLY shallow water and drag herring at 10' or so...might as well be fishing from shore!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    The Duby brothers are picking up quite a few, but they drive those Bayliners in some SERIOUSLY shallow water and drag herring at 10' or so...might as well be fishing from shore!

-Case
    Might as well be!

Spring Kings are feeders. They are going to find the bait fish, and, the bait fish like shallow water.

Both of mine (so far) were from the shore. Threaded blue herring. Incoming tides. Cast, let it sink a bit, retirieve. Make sure your herring has a good rythmic roll.

I salt the bajeezus out of my shore bait. I want it to stay on the hook.

If life allows, I'll go get another one tomorrow (Friday).

Default Juneau Kings

Stop by and see John Weedman at Western Auto Marine. He will get you the strait scoop. I have never fished in Juneau but at the Spring Sports show I met guys that catch lots of fish from shore. I would be looking for a ride on a boat if I was up there. KoneZone Flashers work so much better from the boat. Good luck, Mike

Just wondering how everyone did over the three day weekend? Any good reports?

I chose to stay home and avoid the crowds, but hope to be back out there somewhere during the week.

Default Memorial Weekend

Soggy,

This weekend was SLoooooow. I talked to the fish and game samplers and about a dozen friends that went out there. The fish and game guy said the fish were few and far between. I fished 2 days without seeing a single fish caught, not typical for the end of May. I'll try again in a couple days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast