Thread: Access to fuel in PWS

Default Access to fuel in PWS

I know a seen a thread at one time with this info but can't find it now. Can anyone tell what frequencies and call signs the commercial fishing vessels that carry gasoline/fuel are that work the PWS are?

I don't think they will sell to recreational guys.....as far as I know.
    BK

Yeah, they will sometimes. Depends on how busy the fleet is and if they have extra. I'd never rely on it though. But in an emergency it's worth a try. Just look for one of the large tenders that's out there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Good to know.
    We had an idea last time out there.....a floating barge that has freezers to process and store you fish, bear meat/hides, and deer, plus sell fuel. I'm sure the permits would be a son-of-a-gun though. (A hot pizza wouldn't be bad either!)
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Good to know.
    We had an idea last time out there.....a floating barge that has freezers to process and store you fish, bear meat/hides, and deer, plus sell fuel. I'm sure the permits would be a son-of-a-gun though. (A hot pizza wouldn't be bad either!)
    BK
    It was tried a few years ago in Crab Bay. Permits were turned down!
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Good to know.
    BK
    Expect trouble, especially regarding fuel and fuel storage on water. Insurance would be required, and expensive. Getting fuel out to it wouldn't be difficult, though, as the tenders would likely haul it out. People who think they're going to keep the Sound like it was before Harriman showed up will fight you along with environmentalists, but ultimately, if you can figure out how to do it profitably, I'll bet you could get it permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    I know a seen a thread at one time with this info but can't find it now. Can anyone tell what frequencies and call signs the commercial fishing vessels that carry gasoline/fuel are that work the PWS are?
    I'd try them on 6 or 68 vhf. You'd have a better chance of getting diesel cause the tenders themselves run on diesel. Gas is carried in tanks on deck and with all those new twin jet gas powered gas guzzling bowpickers out there gas is going to be held for the favorites and not sold to sport boats. I've never seen a rec boat getting fueled by a tender, not that it never happened but i've never seen or even heard of it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good to know.
    BK
    I think everything but the fuel part would be fairly easy to do, the floating lodges do it. Go down south buy one of those shrimpers that aren't working bring it up here and start Lizzy K's floating general store and fish plant ??? Weekends down where the halibut guys fish and during the week up at esther/main bay taking care of the gillnet fleet, she'd never sleep.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Roger that Steve....would be awesome to put her out there for the summer.
    If it was easy and profitable, someone would have done it already!
    I'm sure if it was anchored around the south end of Knight Is. you would be one busy hombre!
    Just imagine....pull in, drop off your bear for the freezer, unload some fish to be processed and flash frozen, pick up a hot pizza, chat with a hot blonde, and head back to your cove for another couple days of PWS glory. There might be something to this.....
    BK

People complain about paying an extra $.20-.40 at the fuel dock, you think they'll be willing to pay a $1-2 premium per gallon out in the sound?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    People complain about paying an extra $.20-.40 at the fuel dock, you think they'll be willing to pay a $1-2 premium per gallon out in the sound?
    When I am getting low on fuel and thinking I might run out in the middle of Knight Island Passage.....you bet your butt I would gladly pay a premium for an extra 10 gallons. $10 in that case would be cheap insurance to get home safely ($1/gall x 10 gallons).
    Or, If I planned to fish down south for a week and suddenly had the bright idea to run out with the charters in the gulf for a day burning an extra 20-30 gallons, I would gladly pay the extra $20-30 bucks to do it....afterall I have $500-$600 invested in my trip out there....whats another $20-$30 bucks to spend another day or two out there?
    The other option is to run to Whittier and refuel burning WAY more fuel than the couple bucks you would pay the local tender selling fuel.
    Maybe thats just me but I surely wouldn't let it bother me!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Yes.

And then complain about it later here.

The secret to making it profitable would be not to rape the folks with high prices ?? maybe they would run to the tender instead of fueling in whittier ?? I never filled my tanks full, pushed less weight = longer engine life, i always took fuel from the tenders and they were usually cheaper than the fuel dock.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Roger that Steve....would be awesome to put her out there for the summer.
    If it was easy and profitable, someone would have done it already!
    I'm sure if it was anchored around the south end of Knight Is. you would be one busy hombre!
    Just imagine....pull in, drop off your bear for the freezer, unload some fish to be processed and flash frozen, pick up a hot pizza, chat with a hot blonde, and head back to your cove for another couple days of PWS glory. There might be something to this.....
    BK
    yeah a good looking gal with nice pizza's would sure make some trips go better !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I buy fuel out there a lot. My Buddie has an account because he is a commercial fisherman. I have never tried with cash. I always put it on my buddies account and paid him cash. I find them in Main Bay a lot posted up.

Heath,
    What is your buddy's account #?
    LOL!!
    BK

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ looks like we got a spammer !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

If my abs were more impressive, do you think the state would look more favorably at my permit application for a full service station moored in southwest PWS?

A full service station in PWS would have to be FULL SERVICE... they had them here in Idaho in the big lakes in the north during the glory logging days...fuel, hardware, supplies in one boat (floathouse), restaurant in the next, girls in the next dozen or so, all pulled by a cute little tug run by the madam (whoops, I mean the captain) Really! I moved here in 1973, they were shut down the next year in '74, figured they'd be running in AK since then, guess no one could get a government grant in the great land to get that started though