Thread: charter out of Homer

Default charter out of Homer

Well I just found out that my Cousin is going to come up and visit my wife and I this August, and we want to take him on a charter trip out of Homer for a couple of days. Does anyone have a suggestion/experience with a good outfit out of Homer? I have always gone out of Seward, but thought a trip all the way down the Penninsula would be pretty cool for him. Thanks in advance!

To my experience Ninilchik tends to be a little bit better and cheaper since from what the guys themselves tell me, homer is overfished nad going out past ninilchik anyway. But my favorite outfit there sold their business so unfortunately I can't offer any recommendations.

Which is a shame because the guys I had in mind were REALLY good..

I doubt any good charter outfits would have an opening in August. The good ones fill up several months sometimes even a year in advance.
    You might contact the homer chamber of commerce and get the guide lists. One of the good ones might just have a cancellation.
    I would recommend Ron Hurley of in2fishin charters if he has an opening. You will not be dissapointed.
    Good luck finding a charter.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I agree with flygontrainer. Unless you want to ride all the way to Ninilchik from Homer because I think that is where they fish. Try Marvin at Ebbtide Charters near Ninilchik.

I would start by making a couple calls, one to captain pete, (399-6001) and then to inlet charters (235-6126). You never know what days might be open.
    also, it is not my experience that the better homer charters fish up towards ninilchick, some, maybe, but the advantage and comfort of leaving a harbor (not a beach) coupled with all the great restaurants in homer are just a couple reasons i would pick homer
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

J&J Smart Charters are another great outfit in Ninilchik.

Yeah, but when you're done fishing in ninilchick..... You're still in ninilchick. <GRIN>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Yeah, but when you're done fishing in ninilchick..... You're still in ninilchick. <GRIN>
    Wiser words have never been spoken

jump on one of the half day chicken charters out of nini - ya that is better than going out around to gore point!

Quote Originally Posted by fishergirl View Post
    I agree with flygontrainer. Unless you want to ride all the way to Ninilchik from Homer because I think that is where they fish. Try Marvin at Ebbtide Charters near Ninilchik.
    I highly doubt any Homer charters head that far north.
    Most of the ones I see fish out oin the middle or head south. I doubt any would fish further north than Anchor Point. Too much good fishing between Homer and Ninilchik for somebody to want/need to run that far.
    There are several charters that run South quite a ways from Ninilchik Though.
    Either place has plenty of decent charters.
    I prefer Homer with my own boat for many reasons some that Homerdaver eluded to.
    A nice clean harbor,clean bathrooms with hot/cold running water,plenty to do if blown off from fishing,Areas to fish if blown off from the inlet itself,Some great eateries,plenty of tackle shops with good bait,etc.etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by elkman55 View Post
    Well I just found out that my Cousin is going to come up and visit my wife and I this August, and we want to take him on a charter trip out of Homer for a couple of days. Does anyone have a suggestion/experience with a good outfit out of Homer? I have always gone out of Seward, but thought a trip all the way down the Penninsula would be pretty cool for him. Thanks in advance!
    Here's a list of availability off the Homer Chamber of Commerce page

http://www.alaskaone.com/_travel/homer/fishing/