Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about bears / predators and use of sprays vs. firearms

Default Question about bears / predators and use of sprays vs. firearms

So coming to your state as a visitor for fishing & hiking Mat-Su & Girdwood areas, I am prepared with bear defense items.

Wanted to ask anyone who ran across a bear or other predator that was not going to leave you alone -
    does OC bear spray work better or worse than a handgun / shotgun ?

I am bringing bear sprays but they are heavy in addition to my 10mm Auto loaded with 220gr Buffalo Bore hardcast and 12ga shotgun w/ 1oz slugs.

Just wanted to know if I should pack that heavy ???

Quote Originally Posted by 4SallyPat View Post
    So coming to your state as a visitor for fishing & hiking Mat-Su & Girdwood areas, I am prepared with bear defense items.

Wanted to ask anyone who ran across a bear or other predator that was not going to leave you alone -

I am bringing bear sprays but they are heavy in addition to my 10mm Auto loaded with 220gr Buffalo Bore hardcast and 12ga shotgun w/ 1oz slugs.

Bear Spray works and is nonlethal. Firearms work if you are an accurate shot under high stress. The pistol and spray should cover all applicable scenarios.

Read this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-C.../dp/158574557X

Your odds of getting killed on the Alaska roads or aircraft crash are higher than your odds of even seeing a bear, unless you go to the zoo. And not sure you can even take spray in your checked baggage, but maybe.

When you get here, go to sportsmans warehouse and buy a can of bear spray for 45 bucks. Peace of mind, doubt you'll need it, you're not exactly going into the 'great beyond' fishing the mat-su/girdwood areas. easier than toting your shotguns all the way up here....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

use the search function. type in things like bear spray, bear protection handgun vs bear spray, ect. You would not believe the insane amount of bear protection stuff this forum gets every day. At least that way there.......we don't pulled into this broken-record subject where it goes on and on for eternity.

Like Mariner said, there is tons of info on this forum about that subject, so a quick search will find plenty of it.

Just my quick opinion, I don't see why you would want to carry or need to carry every form of bear protection at the same time. No need for spray + pistol + shotgun. If you have the ability to carry the shotgun, I wouldn't see the need to add the pistol. Adding the bear spray gives you a good option if you don't feel the need for "deadly force" is necessary (i.e. a bear that is bugging you/your camp but won't leave, but not necessarily charging you.....yet). The 10mm is okay, but would not be a first choice for bear protection on it's own, especially if you come up against a brown bear. If I were to choose between your guns, stick to the shotgun. I carry a 10mm in certain situations (when carrying a heaviers/bulkier gun is not feasable such as when running/biking), but step up to a S&W .460 when I am hunting or have the ability to carry the larger gun.

"...I am bringing bear spray..." How are you traveling? Seems the spray would be a no go in an airplane and the handgun may cause problems with Canada if you drive.

TSA does not allow any defense spray over 4oz and a certain concentration in your checked bag and definitely not in your carry-on. Even the checked bag depends on the airline. Have to buy it in AK if flying. On your last day just pass it on to a fellow fisherman. Done that many times.

My vote is spray and pistol IF you will carry them both in an easy to access place, like on your belt. The shotgun over your shoulder or up against a tree won't do you any good.

I prefer a shotgun for bears when i'm hiking but not when my hands are full of fly line and a fishing rod. If you can only carry one on your belt bring the pistol.

If you’re going to bring a 10mm pistol to Alaska for bearprotection, be sure to file off the front site. This way when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your @$$, itwon’t hurt so bad when you have to pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    TSA does not allow any defense spray over 4oz and a certain concentration in your checked bag and definitely not in your carry-on. Even the checked bag depends on the airline. Have to buy it in AK if flying. On your last day just pass it on to a fellow fisherman. Done that many times.
    Yes that is correct TSA will not allow OC spray that is huge (2lbs) on checked luggage.
    So I already shipped it to the rental house.
    And yes that is a good idea to hand off the OC spray to another angler on the last day!
    Thanks fellas !

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    If you’re going to bring a 10mm pistol to Alaska for bearprotection, be sure to file off the front site. This way when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your @$$, itwon’t hurt so bad when you have to pull it out.
    Yeah if the bear gets that close then it won't matter.

I like the 10mm with the heavy & hot loads - it has more power than a 41 Magnum 6 shooter, mine has 18 rounds + another mag of 18 on the ready ! If after 36 rounds the bear doesn't stop then I must be bear food....

Personaly, I prefer something that BOOM as opposed to something that goes piisssssss... for self defense!

Quote Originally Posted by 4SallyPat View Post

Don't forget to add a nice sharp knife, some stout cord and a heavy-duty pack frame to that load....if you kill a bear in defense of life or property, you must salvage the hide and skull, turn them over to the state, and fill out a questionnaire to determine if your actions were appropriate....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I would just carry the 10mm if it were me, shotgun would get tiresome to pack around. I don't trust bear spray but not to say it don't work because it has been proven to work. I myself carry a Glock 20 for bear protection, I feel confident with it more than I would with a .44 or larger revolver. Simply because I train/shoot with it and other Glocks frequently.

If the spray don't work it will be to late for the gun. If the gun don't work,well you will be famous for awhile anyway.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If the spray don't work it will be to late for the gun. If the gun don't work,well you will be famous for awhile anyway.

Ha ha you are sure funny Amigo Will! Well I was planning on having my son carry the OC bear spray and fishing rods and I have the guns so between the two of us we should be in good shape.

And thanks Blasterak!
    With my Glock 20 will be carrying the Buffalo Bore 220 gr Hardcast - it the shoots like a cannon - a big boom instead of a snap - very smoky too. The ammo felt like a small canon - recoil was harsh. Accuracy was OK with my stock Glock 20 (GEN 1) w/ grip reduction. Hopefully we won't run into a bear. For the 2 legged types in the city, I carry Federal 180 gr HydraShok in 18rd magazines.

Will be in your state next week. Look for a guy who is afraid to be bear food - 12ga Remington 870 w/ slugs and Glock 20 in the Mat-Su area wearing waders.!

Thanks to all who contributed to their 2 cents.

Your best defense is situational awareness and make plenty of noise when traveling through thick brush and woods. Enjoy your visit!

Depends on wind direction and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Your best defense is situational awareness and make plenty of noise when traveling through thick brush and woods. Enjoy your visit!
    And a bear tag............ It's a guaranteed talisman against a bear encounter.
    Now what ?

And a bear tag............ It's a guaranteed talisman against a bear encounter.
    Without a doubt, it has worked for me everytime!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast