Thread: charters and crab or shrimp pots

Default charters and crab or shrimp pots

Please excuse the dumb question.

I will be in Alaska in the later part of July. I will be traveling around PWS and the Homer area. I would like to experience putting out a crab or shrimp pot and also doing some fishing in that area. Any guides or charters that I would be able to do that with?

Also, could I take some crabs or shrimp home?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

I'll be curious to hear what the responses are.

In SE, the rules are very strict on what a guide can/cannot do when it comes to deploying and retrieving shellfish pots. The guides who offend are hammered, and rightfully so. It's to the point where all of the guide services I am personally familiar with don't even do crab pots anymore, as the regs make it too difficult. They buy the crab from a local commercial crabber to feed to guests. Shrimp pots, in my opinion, would be even tougher for a guide service to do.

Crab season is closed until October. Search this forum for "Shrimping Charter" and you will see it is possible. Good Luck.

You need to be a resident (with a resident fishing license) in order to get the PWS shrimp permit. Not going to be very smart to try this if you are a Non-Res. I am assuming your status as you said you will only be here for July...

The SE guide regs for crabbing must not be that strict. I stayed at the Handtrollers Cove cabin in Juneau a couple weeks ago and a charter fleet from one of the south Shelter Island fishing lodges was pounding the dungies in the cove daily. Each of the four or five boats in that fleet would drop at least one pot in the morning before they headed out fishing. Each boat dropping at least one pot. I assume they do this seven days a week every day throughout the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'll be curious to hear what the responses are.

In SE, the rules are very strict on what a guide can/cannot do when it comes to deploying and retrieving shellfish pots. .

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    You need to be a resident (with a resident fishing license) in order to get the PWS shrimp permit. Not going to be very smart to try this if you are a Non-Res. I am assuming your status as you said you will only be here for July...
    Where do you get this Malarky from? It has been hashed out on here many times anyone can get a shrimp harvest permit resident or non-resident.
    As for charteras who do it I wouldn't know. I know there are probably a few who do it. I know in the Homer crab fishery when we had one
    it stated the client must have their name and info on a bouy attached to the pot. I believe It also states the client must set and haul the gear.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I know there is at least on fishing charter out of Whittier that will drop pots on the way out and check them on the way back in and also does just shrimping charters if your willing to pay. Cant remember the name of the outfit right now.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    This is not true at all. Completely false. Read the shrimping regulations. Anybody can get a shrimp permit with a resident or non-resident fishing license.

http://www.saltwaterexcursions.com/shrimping-charters/

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...shrimp+charter

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I know there is at least on fishing charter out of Whittier that will drop pots on the way out and check them on the way back in and also does just shrimping charters if your willing to pay. Cant remember the name of the outfit right now.

Saltwater excursions is the one I was thinking of.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

This might help clear up some confusion.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ntfishing.main
    "Without fantasy there is no basis for reality".

Quote Originally Posted by off2fish View Post
    This might help clear up some confusion.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ntfishing.main
    That doesn't clear anything up. Shrimp in PWS are open to Sportfishermen,personal use and subsistence.
    So as a non resident sportsfisherman the OP can shrimp just as much as the next guy.
    Your link only talks about subsistence and personal use as they are defined. Read the entire shedlfish regs of the southcentral regs book and you will see it is open to resident and nonresident sportfishermen. Trust me we have hashed this out many many times on here and it is a proven fact nonresidents can shrimp in PWS.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...cshellfish.pdf

Well, let's make this a little more clear. I personally think that it is pretty simple.
    All Alaska residents, and ONLY Alaska residents, are eligible to participate in both Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries. Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries are managed under different regulations. A valid Resident Sport Fishing License is required to participate in Personal Use fisheries, but is not required to participate in Subsistence fisheries. So, YOU need a a Resident AK sport license to Shrimp in personal use. You must be an Alaskan. You must have a sport fishing license. That is all. NON RESIDENTS are not eligible for personal use shrimp.
    "Without fantasy there is no basis for reality".

Quote Originally Posted by off2fish View Post
    Well, let's make this a little more clear. I personally think that it is pretty simple.
    All Alaska residents, and ONLY Alaska residents, are eligible to participate in both Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries. Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries are managed under different regulations. A valid Resident Sport Fishing License is required to participate in Personal Use fisheries, but is not required to participate in Subsistence fisheries. So, YOU need a a Resident AK sport license to Shrimp in personal use. You must be an Alaskan. You must have a sport fishing license. That is all. NON RESIDENTS are not eligible for personal use shrimp.
    Exactly! But what you fail to realize is PWS shrimp is open to Subsistence,Personal use,AND SPORTFISHING for shrimp.
    SPORTFISHING is NOT subsistence or personal use and is open to all including Alaska residents AND NONRESIDENTS.
    I suggest you read the regs I linked to in my last post. If you don't believe me call ADF&G and they will clear it up for you.
    Nonresidents CAN shrimp in PWS. People have called ADF&G and what I said is true. I post some links to other debates on this when I get time or you can use the search feature and find them yourself.
    Now the North Gulf Coast is personal use only so nonresidents may not participate in that shrimp fishery. Other areas may be different.
    Clear enough now?

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Exactly! But what you fail to realize is PWS shrimp is open to Subsistence,Personal use,AND SPORTFISHING for shrimp.
    SPORTFISHING is NOT subsistence or personal use and is open to all including Alaska residents AND NONRESIDENTS.
    I suggest you read the regs I linked to in my last post. If you don't believe me call ADF&G and they will clear it up for you.
    Nonresidents CAN shrimp in PWS. People have called ADF&G and what I said is true. I post some links to other debates on this when I get time or you can use the search feature and find them yourself.
    Now the North Gulf Coast is personal use only so nonresidents may not participate in that shrimp fishery. Other areas may be different.
    Clear enough now?
    You are correct. That's why there is a check box on the front of the permit for non-resident or resident. Pretty simple...
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Yes - look at the friggin shrimp permit - there is a box to click for non-residents.............I have had no less than 6 non-residents (Wyoming, Colorado, Montana) get shrimp permits and go with me and help me legally shrimp in PWS.