Thread: mercruiser 383 repower

Default mercruiser 383 repower

I purchesed a 2005 campion 682 SC last spring and unfortunately it has been nothing but a headache for me and my family we were unable to use the boat last season due to carburetor issues and after sinking 1500 dollars into parts and mechanic fees we hoped we would have a great yeat on the water this season but thats not going to be the case I took the boat out for its maiden voyege thiz past weekened and promptly snapped the crank in a 383 remaned mercuiser motor. So my hope is to be able to rebuild the motor I have or buy a long block allready built and swap the parts across I have never repowered a I/o so I am looking for any advise I can get to help me through this if you guys have any insight or helpful links on part stores that would be greatly appreciated thank you
    Don J.

2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

research us engines on the web first, lots of complaints. Just a heads up.

Ken

Good advice, i don't have any experience with them, it was one that came up when I was looking for a replacement for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    research us engines on the web first, lots of complaints. Just a heads up.

Ken
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

I was in the same dilemma as you last year, whether I should rebuild or what?? I was having so many problems with the last motor. Finally I made the descion to buy a new motor. Reason being is that the new motor came with a warranty, to me that was worth the extra bit. Just something to think of

Thanks for the replys I have reaserched the compant you sugested and I think i wil stear clear due to the complaints I have read I am leaning toward the rebuild just nervouseJoebut who did yoy buy your engine threw was it threw mercury themselves or a retailer thanks again for the help

Excuse the spelling teying to respond useing a smart phone is a pain

Marine services in Homer is a great resource for Mercury and Mercruiser parts,service, and accessories.
    I believe they are the oldest mercury shop in the state. I have always been inpressed with their prices and quality of service. Bill and Mary Ann will treat you right and they can order any Mercury part they still make. Sometimes even older parts for older motors via the Merc net.
    http://marineservicesofalaska.com/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"