Thread: Shrimp ID question

Default Shrimp ID question

What variety of shrimp is it that shows kind of turquoise blue inards when you head them? Smaller than spots but really tasty.

Default Shrimp ID

alaska shrimp.jpg

Coonstripe

Yep, I think coonstripe are more flavorful than spot shrimp, but they're a bit soft and aren't as good butterflied.

Coonstripe it is. Thanks guys. I pan fried some in coconut oil and thought they were great...just didn't catch enough of 'em.

The wife prefers Coon's too. We aren't catching the numbers this year as we did the previous two seasons. Like Brian said, they are softer and tend to get mushy in the freezer. We've gotten away from combining the two types when we vac-sealed [even using both plastic wrap and freezer paper] and learned it's much better to eat Coon's fresh!

If you like ama ebi at the sushi bar, you'll never cook a coonstripe again after using them in sushi. Clearly the best, but you don't see them in sushi bars because of the holding problems already noted. Eat them fresh, eat em raw.

I have never seen/caught them in any real numbers, so to say, when I working a trawler in PWS, even when we were prospecting for sidestripes. One thing I do remember is that the most we caught were in a haul with a large quantity of kelp leading me to suspect that they favor kelp forest. I agree that they are tastier than spots but not as tasty as sidestripe, but then I have never eaten a shrimp that is tastier than a sidestripe.

We used to catch lots of coonstripes prior to the current mesh size restrictions. My guess is that there are plenty of them down there, but as a smaller species they just don't stay in the pots as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We used to catch lots of coonstripes prior to the current mesh size restrictions. My guess is that there are plenty of them down there, but as a smaller species they just don't stay in the pots as well.
    I'm betting a bunch of those buggers bailed on me..it was my 1st time shrimping and by myself...I had some problems and had to stop several times. Once I got the pots on deck I noticed quite a few wiggled out through the mesh. At least I didn't have any witnesses shrimping...got a few rolling eyes at the dock while trying to retrieve. I don't know how long beginner's penance last but I'd happily trade it for some beginners luck!

Even with a good straight un-interupted pull you won't have that many in your pot. As Brian mentioned they are smaller and scoot right out of the pot.

I'll have to save the few we get to enjoy raw.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have an area that really produces some quality coon stripes. I agree that they are quite tasty and best eaten straight from the pot.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wow, you got a whole slug of 'em. That would make my day!

The mesh size restriction is not for all sides of the pot. Also removing the entrance opposite the bridal helps reduce fallout.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have an area that really produces some quality coon stripes. I agree that they are quite tasty and best eaten straight from the pot.
    Spoiled One is a "Shrimp Whisperer" I have seen some of his guests flop their lips straight from the pot..........

I do not care I'll eat any of the PWS varieties.

In as many different configurations........

Though out of the pot butterfied with fresh garlic cannot be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

My lips are sealed, but last time I was thru there it was full of pots with no room to set mine.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson