Thread: Surfcast sinkers?

Default Surfcast sinkers?

Just curious what you guys use for surfcast sinkers on the beach?
    My personal favorite is the Storm sinker in 4oz -8oz sizes.

I tried the hilts claw sinkers and found I like the storm sinkers better.

I just ordered the Frog Tongue sinker mold. Anyone try these up here in AK? I read online they are very popular on the east coast so I decided to order a mold for these.
    I willl be making 4,5,6,7,8,10,and 12oz frog tongues.

Also I have some excess sinkers I made last year and I am looking to see if there is any interest from people who may want to buy some surfcast sinkers? these are not available in AK stores but were designed for surfcast fishing.
    I was going to give some of these away last year but never did get together with the forum members I was talking to so I figured maybe someone else might buy some of these off of me so I dont have to recast them into other stuff. I might also trade lead for sinkers if anyone has any excess lead lying around.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Chris your PM inbox is full!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Chris your PM inbox is full!
    Plenty of room now!

Just trying to get an idea of what styles and sizes of sinkers interest Alaska Surfcast fishers.
    I also wonder what kind of prices people would be willing to pay if I decide to sell a few sinkers while I am on the beach. I am not looking to gouge people but some of these molds are expensive and there is some cost in making them.
    I know most people probably just use pyramid sinkers. Probably because there are not a lot of surfcast specific weights available in AK.
    So would you pay say 10% more for a surfcast specific sinker VS a standard pyramid available in local stores? So instead of paying $1.29 you would pay lets say $1.50 for the same size weight but in a style designed for surfcasting that holds better and/or casts easier?
    I was also thinking a guy could sell weights individualy or sets of weights at a slightly reduced price. You could get several sizes of one style that way and adjust the sinker weight as tides and surf change for slightly less than buying them seperatly.
    I personally have better luck holding bottom when I use the storm sinkers VS the traditional pyramid and thats why I wanted to buy some specific molds for surfcast sinkers designed for the job.
    Let me know what you think good or bad.

I dont have any answers for you, really, except that I'll be glad to buy some from you if you include advice for a novice surfcaster!

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    I dont have any answers for you, really, except that I'll be glad to buy some from you if you include advice for a novice surfcaster!
    If you find me on the beach the advice will be free but not the sinkers.
    Where are you located at? What kind of setup do you have? Rod/reel etc. etc.
    Actually there is some good advice on the 2013 surfcast thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=surfcast

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    If you find me on the beach the advice will be free but not the sinkers.
    Where are you located at? What kind of setup do you have? Rod/reel etc. etc.
    Actually there is some good advice on the 2013 surfcast thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=surfcast
    Kenai. Just went and bought an 8.5' rod/reel combo for $30 @ WalMart. I didn't wanna go all out until I figured this thing out.

Fished the south side of the Kenai today, about žmile down from the mouth. Saw a king jump in around, but didn't get any bites. Fished for about an hour around high tide.

I'll repost this in the above thread so we dont hijack your thread.