Thread: H2O filters/purifiers

Cool H2O filters/purifiers

Any comments and experiences on water filters/purifiers for backpacking/backcountry use. I was concidering the Katadyne Hiker Pro, anyone used this model?

Thanks in advance...

Katadyne makes some good filters/purifiers. I like the porcelyn (spelling?) filters better than the paper jobs. easier to clean and you dont have carry a back-up. Another good one I have had is a PUR. cant remember the model but it was pretty good. It was a paper filter (I hate refering it as paper, but you get my drift).

Default Archives!

Blink,

Search the archives- there's already been a TON of stuff written on that topic; you should be able to make a purchase decision just on what you read there. I know I already wrote quite a lot on that, some of which might even be useful...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Agree with the suggestion to check out the forums, but to make it short - I bought the MSR Miniworks last year and love it. It's light, small, very reliable and easy to use. Well worth looking into.

-Brian

What about for larger volumes of drinking water, what filter system would be best?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    What about for larger volumes of drinking water, what filter system would be best?
    Check this one out, British Berkefeld. I have one that I just got. It is light, not too bulky and has two ceramic filters that are good for something like 4000 gallons of water. It does 2.5 gallons at a time and has a holding tank with a little faucet. Should work great for hualing on my 4 wheeler when going moose hunting for a week.

http://www.jamesfilter.com/british_berkefeld.htm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Dang, those things look huge, how much does your weigh? Do they filter out all the harmful bacteria like giardiasis? I am looking for something to take on a 9 day float hunt this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Dang, those things look huge, how much does your weigh? Do they filter out all the harmful bacteria like giardiasis? I am looking for something to take on a 9 day float hunt this fall.

24 inches tall, 10 inches in diameter, 4 lbs. The top section comes off. There are specs on that website. Click the "more information" link. I would think it would work great for something like that where you have a lot of clear water available that you need to filter over several days. It says that it filters 1/2 gal per hour with a 2.5 gal capacity. It could sit in your raft and filter 2.5 gal of water while you float.

Specs on the filters.

British Berkefeld filters are Manufactured to meet:

* National Sanitation Foundation standard 42

* National sanitation Foundation Standard 53

* ISO 9002 Quality Standard

* British Water Research Council Performance Standards

Filtering efficiencies for British Berkefeld elements:

The filtration efficiency is 0.9 micron absolute (Spectrum Labs)

Removal of >99.99% of particals larger than 0.5 microns (Spectrum Labs)

Removal of >99.70% of particals larger than 0.3 microns (Spectrum Labs)

Removal of >98% of particals larger than 0.2 microns (Spectrum Labs)

100% removal of Giardia

100% removal of Live Cryptosporidium (University of Arizona)

>99.99% Removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 A.C Fines dust-4 log challenge)

>99.99% removal of E.Coli, Vibrio Cholera (Hyder Labs-U.K)

>99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhii, Shigella Disenteria, Klebsiella Terrigena (hyder Labs-U.K)

British Berkefeld ceramic elements May be cleaned 100 times or more with a soft brush or 3M 'scotchbrite'

Product is Silver impregnated and

* will not permit bacteria grow through (mitosis)

* Provides a hostile environment for all Microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I just might have to look into one of those units, it would sure beat having to boil gallons upon gallons of "dirty" water to get good clean water. Thanks for the link Snyd.

I prefered the MSR Waterworks II - it was a good decission!

Question MSR vs Katadyne / Pur

I just purchased the MSR miniworks instead of replacing the paper filter on my Pur hiker which has served me well for years.
    I have used it two weekends now & found that it pumps really slow & requires a lot more pressure to pump.
    Have any of you who have the MSR experienced this & does it get better over time, or is it just the nature of the beast with the ceramic filter.
    If so I think I may go back to the Pur.

Default MSR Waterworks

Bought an M S R waterworks for a canoe trip on one of the lower tributaries of the Noatak 2 years ago. Wonderful filter. Super tough construction. Good flow rate. Easy to clean. I will be taking it up in the same area for 13 day canoe trip in a few weeks. I am not carrying a back up filter if that tells you anything about the confidence I have in M S R. Top of the line stuff. Period.

Default M S R Filter accesory

Forgot to mention. If you are going to be spending much time in the back country, be sure to get the M S R filter maintenance kit. It literally has a replacement part for anything on the filter that could break or wear out. Cost like $18 at www.campmor.com . It comes in a super tough plastic box and stows anywhere. A must have for longer trips. Research this filter before you buy one. I feel that you will be glad you did.

Along with repair kit, a shotgun shell with 00 will go a long way towards having a ball to install in the check valve should you find you bought the model without the ball after youve flown several hundred miles and been dropped off at the start of the float! (hope this doesnt dash your confidence, but I'll bet you pump some water with it before you leave on the trip now!!!