Thread: Bettles Island near Chenega in Prince William Sound

Default Bettles Island near Chenega in Prince William Sound

I am trying to identify potential kayaking campsites in southwestern Prince William Sound using Google Earth. Campsites in this area of PWS are severely limited due to large tracts of native land where camping is prohibited. I have identified one potential site on Bettles Island which is US Forest Service land where camping should be allowed. Bettles Island is located just south of the native settlement of Chenega. The coordinates are 60 02.851'N x 14800.634'W. If anyone here has ever camped on this island I would be interested in hearing about your experience. If anyone has knowledge about camping on native land, that also would be helpful to me in planning my route. Thanks

Right across from there (2 miles away) on LaTouche Is. is Horshoe Bay state park.
    Can't help you with the Bettles situation though....
    BK

BK
    Thanks for the reply.
    My first hasty investigation of Horseshoe Bay Marine Park implied that it was only usable as an anchorage for larger boats so I had looked no further.
    With some further digging I now see that it is possible to camp on a large beach just north of the park but still within the USFS boundary.
    Camping may also be possible on Chicken Island which is also with the park boundary.
    Denis

you might also check with crazy ray's fishing - he now has the jumping salmon lodge in that area. They rent cabins and have food and such - could pretty useful in your planning.

Dennis,
    There is plenty of camping space on the southern point of Horshoe bay. Just get off the tidal area up a 100' feet or so. Beautiful country. We anchored in the bay last week and there were otters with pups and eagles in there all day long. If you paddle north just past Chicken Is. there is the old townsite from the LaTouche copper mine with TONS of exploring to do. Lots of old buildings and ruins to visit with an airstrip and a few cabins that are private property.
    Also-Port Ashton is just across the bay with cabins, hot tub, great people!
    BK

Thanks Bullelkklr
    I now have the Jumping Salmon Lodge marked on my chart.

Thanks BK
    Horseshoe Bay is now on my itinerary. I'll be looking for those sea otters.
    Denis

There's a great writeup on this area, including Horseshoe Bay, in the Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound. Don't know if you have a copy, but we have them in the store at that link. I think there is a ton of info in there that would be useful for you as you plan these trips!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    There's a great writeup on this area, including Horseshoe Bay, in the Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound. Don't know if you have a copy, but we have them in the store at that link. I think there is a ton of info in there that would be useful for you as you plan these trips!

Regards,

-Mike
    Thanks Mike
    I will definitely check that book out.
    Denis