Thread: Denali Highway Conditions

Default Denali Highway Conditions

Hey guys,
    Anybody been up the Denali highway recently (i.e. last week or so)? I know that there was a clean-up up there recently. I was thinking about going up this weekend and doing some scouting for a caribou hunt this fall, but wondered what kind of conditions I would be getting myself into as far as snow goes....

I was thinking about backpacking around the controlled use area by the Susitna bridge. Any pointers on conditions up there right now?

Default Denali Highway conditions

Conditions have improved greatly around the West end of the CUA. You won't be able to get far in the valley's as snow is still deep, but it's melting rapidly and you should be able to get around in a lot of areas. Water levels around the bridge have finally gone down a little. The Valdez Mine Road has been opened by the miners. Good luck on your scouting!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Last Saturday I drove in 7 miles on the paxson side. Snow cover was about fifty percent. The wkend before I had been in as far as 25 miles on that side as the State was clearing the hiway. That wkend snow cover was about 95 percent. So last weeks hi temps and abundant sunshine has done serious damage to the snow cover.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Thanks guys. The question is....will I be able to find a dry spot to put a tent. I was going to try to drive the Valdez mine road and take off from there...

Quote Originally Posted by MT2AK View Post
    Thanks guys. The question is....will I be able to find a dry spot to put a tent. I was going to try to drive the Valdez mine road and take off from there...
    Directly at the beginning of Valdez creek/mine rd is a large gravel area which is good for setting up camp.

Also, at the start of Windy creek rd (1/2 mi east of Valdez creek rd) there's a state gravel pit that's probably free of snow by now.

Beautiful area! Enjoy!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

One of my favorite places in the world. I'd hoof it up the Windy Creek drainage. It's easier to get away from people there than the Valdez Creek drainage. I hope you are just scouting the terrain. Caribou are where you find them during hunting season. I've gone up Windy Creek and not seen an animal for days, then have dozens appear right by my truck. A nice hike would be up Windy Creek, skirt around the east side of the lake, cross the pass that you can see to the east from the lake and drop into the back side of Alpine Creek Lodge. Shouldn't be too hard to get a ride back to your starting point from there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AKDoug...I tried to PM you, but it says that your inbox is full. Shoot me a PM I'd like to talk!